11 replies to this topic

#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,921 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:55 PM

The Globe & Mail looks into this weighty issue, and concludes that obese doctors are less likely than "normal weight" physicians to discuss weight concerns with their patients.

Researchers at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health and the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine found that only 18 per cent of overweight or obese physicians discussed weight loss with their patients, compared to 30 per cent of normal weight physicians.

The study of 500 primary care physicians in the U.S. also found that a vast majority of doctors–93 per cent–only diagnosed obesity in their patients if they believed they were the same weight or less than the people they were treating.

Globe & Mail

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#2 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,768 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:34 PM

I've never had a doctor -- even my cardiologist -- tell me to lose weight.
I think it's always been assumed.

And she was.

#3 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,595 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:03 PM

my doctor is an anorexic marathoner

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#4 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,352 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:33 PM

Doctors who like a drink are less likely to drone on about alcohol units too.

#5 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,049 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:48 PM

You may have a case against these folks. Leave detailed notes for your estate's attorney to follow when suing your cardiologist.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#6 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:56 PM

As a 150lb student I was told by my doctor that I could lose some weight.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#7 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,352 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:36 PM

I remember a doctor telling me my cholesterol was normal, and when I sought to celebrate he snarled "I didn't say good, I said normal."

#8 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:45 PM

I have.

I've also had a doctor who smokes advise me (rather ruefully) to quit back when I indulged.
It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

Please come visit my rock concert blog: Tantalized.

#9 Really Nice!

Really Nice!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:56 PM

Do obese physicians counsel fat patients about losing their weight?

Do as I say, not as I do.

#10 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,352 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:33 PM

I once had a doctor who was haggard from self-abuse tell me to stop...

No, no I didn't.

#11 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,613 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:03 PM

Didn't have a physician tell you, or didn't stop?

(Both, I assume.)

One big issue my wife always had was that her diet was much "healthier" than mine, and my "bad" cholesterol levels were always VERY low (and my "good" ones pretty acceptable). I always told her it was a measure of moral worth, not diet.

My doctors all tell me to lose weight. They seem to have a consensus that, considering what my life is like, my drinking level is on balance good for me.

I like my doctors. At least when they're not giving me prostate exams.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#12 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,133 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:28 AM

My doctor is a little chubby, but he's not obese.

I am a little chubby, but I am not obese.

Every time I see my doctor, he tells me it would be better if I lost some weight. Every. Time. For him, it's not just about my weight (it is, but it isn't), but I have high blood pressure (I've been on meds for about two years) and high triglycerides, but OK good cholesterol, and usually OK bad cholesterol levels. He thinks I have metabolic syndrome, and that as long as my weight is high, my numbers will all be high, but that the numbers will improve if I lose weight. So he tells me to lose weight. Every time I see him.

Two visits ago (maybe six months ago), my numbers were very very high (even my blood pressure was a little high despite the meds).

Three months later, I had lost about 5 pounds, and even though it was a measly 5 pounds, my numbers all lowered substantially. Even my triglycerides, which are usually quite high, were solidly "normal".

He still wants me to lose 20-30 more pounds, but I'll be satisfied with 10 more. Then I can look good, but still satisfy both my taste buds and my stomach. And my doctor will be happy with my numbers.