9 replies to this topic

#1 foodie52

foodie52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,340 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:03 PM

Will be in Burgundy this summer (canal boat first) and are planning to drive from Dijon to Cherbourg.

Any good suggestions along the way? I do want to spend one night in Pithiviers, just because.There a restaurant "Relais de la Poste" that looks OK. We'll go through Chartres and Caen. We're not crazy about big cities, so any suggestions for countryside stops will be appreciated.
[size="4"]Visit our website for updates...Friends of Colombian Orphans

Donations are always gratefully accepted.

#2 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69,700 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:25 PM

It wouldn't take you too far out of your way to stop at Beaune. Dijon is nice, but Beaune is Burgundy with bells on.

#3 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,673 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:31 PM

Sorry I can't help myself. My obsession with this used to drive my wife a little crazy.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4 foodie52

foodie52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,340 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:37 PM

We're going to Beaune, too. John and I were there in 2002: the summer of Impossible Heat. This time, we'll be with some friends for that part of the journey.

Any dining suggestions?

#5 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69,700 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:53 PM

We're going to Beaune, too. John and I were there in 2002: the summer of Impossible Heat. This time, we'll be with some friends for that part of the journey.

Any dining suggestions?

It was years ago, but I believe La Grilladine is still there. Very traditional:

A neat, very sensible, grey-bricked dining room offering cooking a step up from the regional standard. The salade des rougets, following an amuse of creamed smoked fish in filo pastry, was a lighter start to a Burgundian meal than usual. I really liked the pigeon flamed in Armagnac, and also approved a heartier arrangement of filet de boeuf and veal sweetbreads capped with a slice of foie. Cheese, but petits fours rather than dessert. The river of wine flowed on with a 1989 Le Corton

If you're there on a Saturday, the market is great. Just next to the market, I think, is a wine cellar tour - very much for tourists (you get a tastevin), but you get to drink a lot of Burgundy, which can't be a bad thing.

#6 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:01 PM

I cannot recommend too highly the "Luxury Apartment in Dijon" we rented in Dijon, some 50 yards from the Place de Liberte with its restaurants and fountains. 5 minutes from Les Halles. Full kitchen, free international phone calls, fast connection Apple computer, private patio with "living wall", super walk-in shower, king bed as well as second bedroom with twins. Lovely hosts. Can be rented for a stay as short as several days.

#7 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:12 PM

Another favorite in your line of sight is a delightful chambre d'hote in Cosne sur Loire, Le Prieure Saint Agnan. We chose chambre Clocher with its private ourdoor sitting area and fabulous bathroom. Again, lovely host and hostess, with generous breakfast served outdoors overlooking the Loire.

For dinner, an absolute "do not miss" is Le Chat, located about 15 minutes down river, possibly my husband's favorite restaurant in France, details here.

FWIW, we will stay and eat here again in July.

#8 foodie52

foodie52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,340 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:30 PM

That is perfect! We'll rent the car in Dijon, and Cosne_Cours-Sur-Loire is on our way west. We'll definitely eat there. Thank you! (probably July 15th)

#9 foodie52

foodie52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,340 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:37 PM

We can be in Beaune on Saturday. That sounds great, too.

#10 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:08 PM

Another wine tasting concept is lunch at Olivier Leflaive, a tasting lunch accompanied by appropriate wines. Accomplished wine mavins need not apply, but a pleasant and worthwhile experience for those less experienced.