43 replies to this topic

#1 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,946 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:30 PM

Will this be the Adele show (Sunday)? Will there be Kanye mischief?
The nominees.

I got that gin in my system
Somebody's gon' be my victim.

Big Freedia

#2 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,472 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:04 PM

What an odd, arbitrary list.

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#3 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:13 PM

I thought the same thing. And the categories seem weird now.

"Best New Artist" for Bon Iver even though this is their (his) second album? His first came out four years ago.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#4 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,946 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:10 PM

I thought the same thing. And the categories seem weird now.

"Best New Artist" for Bon Iver even though this is their (his) second album? His first came out four years ago.

The Grammys seem more contemporary than they were say 10 years ago. I think if you look closely all the best new artist candidates have been around for a little while.

Big Freedia

#5 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,946 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:12 PM

A guide to the Grammys with some predictions.

Big Freedia

#6 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,443 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:56 PM

I know I'm old and square, but something is not right here:

Record Of The Year: Adele - Rolling In The Deep
Album Of The Year: Ugh, I guess Adele - 21
Song Of The Year: Kanye West - All Of The Lights

I know what an album is, and I know what a song is. I had thought a record was the same thing as an album. But the Internet tells me that "Rolling in the Deep" is just a song. Why are there three categories for two things?

And when did Barbara Streisand switch to dance music?

Hush, hush.  Keep it down now.

#7 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,619 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:37 AM

As if you didn't know!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5szncrypGpU

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#8 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,450 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:42 AM

record of the year is a production award. song of the year is an artist award. i think.

edit: wikipedia informs that "song of the year" is a songwriter award, and "record of the year" goes to the artist and the production team.

my annoying opinions: untimely whisky reviews and occasional cultural commentary

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#9 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,946 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:09 AM

I know I'm old and square, but something is not right here:

Record Of The Year: Adele - Rolling In The Deep
Album Of The Year: Ugh, I guess Adele - 21
Song Of The Year: Kanye West - All Of The Lights

I know what an album is, and I know what a song is. I had thought a record was the same thing as an album. But the Internet tells me that "Rolling in the Deep" is just a song. Why are there three categories for two things?

Well, we'll see if Kanye wins that one--sort of a consolation for having My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy generally overlooked by the Grammys for 2010 and/or not considered for album of the year this year.

Big Freedia

#10 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,008 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:46 PM

Well. Did anyone else see The Grammys Presents Chris Brown and Foo Fighters featuring special guest Paul McCartney? Why Chris Brown, who beat the pulp out of Rihanna just about two years ago, needs to be welcomed back quite so enthusiastically is beyond me.

I thought LL Cool J did a pretty competent job hosting. A friend I was watching with suggested early on a game in which everyone took a drink each time LL changed his hat. :P

It was such a trainwreck I couldn't stop watching. Taylor Swift (ho-hum) doing that incredibly cutesy number on that hideous set, a pile of broken lumber from what I could tell, elicted perhaps my favorite tweet of the evening, from Greg Morabito: 'Bedford Avenue hoedown'.

Bruce Springsteen's bombast has worn quite thin. Foo Fighters have become very boring and irrelevant I think although Dave Grohl did participate in one of the more enjoyable moments of the evening, the guitar jam at the end. But when Dave Grohl is the youngest person on stage, just what audience are the producers aiming for?

Paul McCartney has always driven me sort of crazy but he was not only inoffensive last night but sounded amazing.

Poor Rihanna, having to share the stage with Coldplay who sounded just awful. As Rosanne Cash pointed out via Twitter (which really helped you enjoy the show in all its baroque awfullness) Chris Martin has no pitch whatsoever.

Alicia Keys and Bonnie Raitt did a fine job saluting Etta James. The Glen Campbell tribute was very touching and the old guy sounded and looked terrific. Fuck Alzheimer's. Seeing Brian Wilson just makes me sad, although the Beach Boys sounded pretty fine for a bunch of grandpas. Although why they needed the lead-in from Adam Levine and FFS Foster the People is a mystery. I have always gotten a huge d-bag vibe from Adam Levine and it was only reinforced when he cozied up to Mike Love, d-bag from a bygone era.

The fabulous Adele was introduced by GOOP, practicing her mincing English accent and wearing what appeared to be a couture bat costume. But nothing can take away from Adele, who sounded wonderful and who seemed so very unaffectedly delighted to win 6 awards. Good for her, and for Kanye,who although he didn't show up deserved his 4 awards.

Nicki Minaj, what were you thinking? You literally went down in flames (that set looked like it was exploding). Look to Madonna and GaGa, and try to realize that just being weird and wearing strange costumes isn't enough--you also have to be entertaining and your shtick should have some modicum of coherence. My eyes were bleeding watching that mess and I doubt I was alone.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#11 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,445 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:00 PM

ohmigod Mike Love just oozed dirty old man. With his hat with his own bands name on it to the 11 rings on 8 fingers. Ugh. The only person who thinks Mike Love made the Beach Boys is Mike Love.

I like Adele - really I do. But she is perfect Grammy bait. A great song, traditional instrumentation, pop success, very presentable, good media training. She's almost, but not quite as good as Norah Jones was - better song, probably more talented, but lacks Jones' famous father back story. I mean I know this sounds like I'm saying she didn't deserve it, just that even if there was anyone close to her in a category she was going to beat them.

Also I loved the tweeting about the Chris Brown stage being Qbert.
Why not mayo?

#12 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,187 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:03 PM

Pretty much agree with your assessment except for the Glen Campbell tribute which made me think of someone who's been forced to sing at their own funeral.

Also thought that Jennifer Hudson nailed her tribute to Whitney.
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#13 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,008 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:07 PM

Pretty much agree with your assessment except for the Glen Campbell tribute which made me think of someone who's been forced to sing at their own funeral.

Also thought that Jennifer Hudson nailed her tribute to Whitney.

Well it was Glen Campbell's idea to have a 'farewell tour' and he appeared to be having a good time. but I'm not disagreeing with you.

And yes Jennifer Hudson was perfect, and the perfect choice to deliver the tribute.
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson

#14 foodie52

foodie52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,335 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:20 PM

I found that mouse very disturbing, and even more so, the leaping fans who were wearing mouse hats. Somebody tell me what's going on with that. I'm open minded and love all sorts of music, but I just can't understand how you could make a living, doing that.
[size="4"]Visit our website for updates...Friends of Colombian Orphans

Donations are always gratefully accepted.

#15 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,008 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:23 PM

I found that mouse very disturbing, and even more so, the leaping fans who were wearing mouse hats. Somebody tell me what's going on with that. I'm open minded and love all sorts of music, but I just can't understand how you could make a living, doing that.

It's just dance music. The 'fans' were no doubt the children of various record company executives. The whole scene was very manufactured in a rather Las Vegas-like manner.