8 replies to this topic

#1 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:14 AM

this is really good news. it would be hard for him to open a restaurant that was harder to get to while still in the US.

#2 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,954 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:02 PM

part of me is bummed. I've had to cancel two bookings here for trips that got changed at the last minute.
Why not mayo?

#3 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:03 PM

if he opens up in bismarck it will be easier for you to get to.

were you going to fly to the tri-cities airport and drive?

#4 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,954 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:07 PM

part of bigger trips to the South - spend a night there on the way down. Ended up being cheaper to go to Turkey then our planned trip once, another time we got flooded out for the Memphis --> New Orleans leg so just bailed on the whole thing.

I would have guessed flying LGA-Charlotte while a longer drive would be much cheaper than Bristol.

ETA: Actually Turkey and the Flood were the same trip. The other time I had a business reason to be in that general part of the world. I forget why. Probably something awful in the Bristol area
Why not mayo?

#5 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,234 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:00 PM

The Washington Post notes that the couple is currently in Philadelphia, and may consider Washington DC for their restaurant. Given what they do, and what they're said to want, the area around Kennett Square, or out toward Lancaster in PA would meet their needs. Ditto for the area around Fredericksburg VA.

Local farm communities, lots of wealth.

Washington Post

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#6 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:11 PM

we drove from DC which was about six hours. my dad went a few times without us and thought it was worth the drive.

#7 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,954 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:16 PM

It is sort of a shame that they couldn't pull it off. Though I guess Chilhowie is a helluva a lot more remote than Laguioule.
Why not mayo?

#8 Heather

Heather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:02 PM

It is sort of a shame that they couldn't pull it off. Though I guess Chilhowie is a helluva a lot more remote than Laguioule.

I was lucky enough to dine there in 2009, and can say with confidence that Chilhowie really is in the middle of nowhere. The food was interesting, if not always delicious, and I had plans to give it a try again this summer on a trip south before hearing the news of their closing.

#9 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,234 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:35 AM

Eater Philadelphia reports that John Shields has had difficulties fining financial backers for the restaurant he wants to open in the Philly area. However, he has had some solid interest from DC, and may open a place there.

I know he has a superb rep from Town House, but his one tasting menu offering at the Elements dinner this Summer left me distinctly underwhelmed. That's not a fair environment to evaluate a chef's range of work, and I'd be interested in trying any restaurant he chooses to open.

New Project?

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman