11 replies to this topic

#1 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:16 PM

Mario Batali appeared as a supernumary in the City Opera performance of La Traviata at BAM yesterday afternoon.

It's surprising, since Batali's playlists give no indication that he's any kind of opera fan.

He wore a white wig and sort of milled around in the two party scenes. He at least moved his mouth so as to seem to be singing along with the chorus; whether he was or not is a question the audience couldn't answer.

It's funny. Given current opera's perference for lithe slender body types, Batali was by far the heaviest person on the stage. All the opera singers were much slimmer.

There was no particular acknowledgement of him. I had thought he'd be given a special bow. He wasn't.

(Maybe it wasn't him.)
Bar Loser

MF Old

#2 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,903 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:49 PM

Did he wear the trade mark orange clogs in his appearance?

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#3 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:57 PM

Nope. The stage dress seemed to be mid-19th Century.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#4 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,414 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:32 PM

I wasn't there and didn't see it, but it was Batali. I saw an ad or some such yesterday when I was looking up something on the interwebs. Maybe it was Eater? The thing had an obviously Photoshopped picture of him in his standard shorts, vest, and clogs standing downstage center of a bunch of people all in late 16th or early 17th century wigs and gold and white clothing, and mentioned he would be a party guest in scene in an opera at BAM.

ETA: Found it. Yup, Eater.

Because it's allowed doesn't mean it isn't creepy. -- Sneakeater, April 10, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#5 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:35 PM

Yeah, that's why I was looking for him. You wouldn't have known he was there if you didn't know he was going to be there.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#6 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:14 PM

This otherwise reprehensible write-up in the L.A. Times suggests that Batali was in the audience, not on the stage.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#7 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:01 PM

It's surprising, since Batali's playlists give no indication that he's any kind of opera fan.

Actually, it turns out that Batali sits on the City Opera's "Artists Council".
Bar Loser

MF Old

#8 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:54 PM

OK. That was him.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#9 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,573 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:58 PM

OK. That was him.

so he was asleep on the stage?

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#10 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:20 PM

Yeah, I guess so.

I think that L.A. critic was so busy obsessing about black people that he lost track of the Caucasians.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#11 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,573 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:31 PM

Yeah, I guess so.

I think that L.A. critic was so busy obsessing about black people that he lost track of the Caucasians.

You'd think they'd be sooo over black people in LA, by now.

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#12 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:04 PM

I'm surprised he didn't say that, upon seeing Mario Batali, the entire audience started thinking about Nello Ferrara.
Bar Loser

MF Old