6 replies to this topic

#1 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:07 PM

I'm looking for a non-chain spot for early dinner between Hershey Amusement Park and Rte 283. No PA Dutch food, please. And no in-Hershey proper addresses since the town is over-run with event attendees during my visit. Many thanks in advance.

#2 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,153 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:05 PM

I asked my sister, who travels to Hershey fairly frequently for hockey reasons and her response was not encouraging. She said you might want to try the Hershey Spa (she has not eaten there though). She also said that Houston's may be your best bet in that area. As I already said, not encouraging.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#3 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,098 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:24 PM

I'm not familiar with the better places in the area, however Harrisburg - Reading has a vibrant brewing culture. There are a number of good brew pubs in the immediate area.

OpenTable has a few area listings that might be of interest. Devon Seafood in Hershey has 547 OT reviews, and a 4.5 star conclusion. Fenicci's has 231 reviews and four stars. The various properties of the Hotel Hershey also did well.

Mountain View at the PennNational course was the only Grantville establishment listed.

A restaurant in East Berlin PA (didn't George Kennan live there?) garnered the area's Reader's Choice Award.

Sidney
101 E King Street
East Berlin, PA 17316

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#4 Nancy S.

Nancy S.

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:29 PM

I asked my sister, who travels to Hershey fairly frequently for hockey reasons and her response was not encouraging. She said you might want to try the Hershey Spa (she has not eaten there though). She also said that Houston's may be your best bet in that area. As I already said, not encouraging.

I too have traveled to that area (for ballet reasons) and also cannot provide encouragement.

#5 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:33 PM

Thanks for these ideas. We find ourselves in this area once a year, looking for a decent but not time=consuming meal after 9 hours of walking the fields at the enormous Antique Auto Show. I had mentioned on another forum that sometimes and in some areas, Applebee's is as good as it gets.

My question was in response to a response in that forum: "I can always do better than Applebee's anywhere in the US."

Since Mouthfuls has such a large eastern and mid-Atlantic membership, I thought it worth a shot to ask here. Again, thanks for trying.

#6 Nancy S.

Nancy S.

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:20 PM

Thanks for these ideas. We find ourselves in this area once a year, looking for a decent but not time=consuming meal after 9 hours of walking the fields at the enormous Antique Auto Show. I had mentioned on another forum that sometimes and in some areas, Applebee's is as good as it gets.

My question was in response to a response in that forum: "I can always do better than Applebee's anywhere in the US."

Since Mouthfuls has such a large eastern and mid-Atlantic membership, I thought it worth a shot to ask here. Again, thanks for trying.

In that area of the world, a grilled cheese and a straightforward cocktail usually is as good as it gets.

#7 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:51 PM

You forgot to mention the expanded salad bars at most supermarkets! In fact, last October, I bought a rotisserie chicken, some grilled vegetables, a handful or so of baby greens and called it good.

Even took a baggie of bite-sized pieces of chicken breast out to the fields the next day for a better lunch than one can buy from the god-awful and over-priced on-site commercial food wagons.

eta: add a bottle of wine from the incomprehensible-to-a-native-Californian state liquor store and, with a fridge and micro in your hotel room, tuck in for the night.