17 replies to this topic

#1 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,979 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:25 PM

Not that we've had a real winter, but the Tanglewood brochure, the Jacob's Pillow brochure and forsythia in bloom on West 12th Street mean that spring in almost here.

#2 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,213 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:01 PM

It's definitely still winter here, but it's comparatively mild. Temperature is -15C right now (windchill is -20C), but the high is supposed to be -2C. If we get one more cold spell before spring comes to stay, I hope it will be while I'm away on holidays. . .

#3 memesuze

memesuze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,278 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:32 PM

Just what would YOU pull together if you thought that there might be a tornado ripping off your roof in the middle of the night?

Threatening weather in the Central Texas area last night, and I had to decide what to wear while I slept [who wants to be running around outside post-tornado with only a t-shirt on] and what to put in a backpack [change of clothes, shoes, makeup, passport, phone charger, cash] that I parked in the shower in case I had to find the smallest interior room and then hold on to the plumbing [someone saving himself by holding on to the bathtub plumbing has to be an urban myth]. At least I knew there was no way I could drag my queen-sized mattress into the small bathroom to protect me from flying debris.

No tornado near Austin, scads of rain again - fortunately some of it finally dropped on the Highland Lake chain, and we're continuing to put a dent in the drought.
"When you think about it, all of my greatest work is poop tomorrow." - Mario Batali

Even if you live to be 100, life is short.

#4 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,213 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:36 PM

No basement to hide in? Tornadoes scare me. A lot.

#5 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,079 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:10 PM

Just what would YOU pull together if you thought that there might be a tornado ripping off your roof in the middle of the night?

Threatening weather in the Central Texas area last night, and I had to decide what to wear while I slept [who wants to be running around outside post-tornado with only a t-shirt on] and what to put in a backpack [change of clothes, shoes, makeup, passport, phone charger, cash] that I parked in the shower in case I had to find the smallest interior room and then hold on to the plumbing [someone saving himself by holding on to the bathtub plumbing has to be an urban myth]. At least I knew there was no way I could drag my queen-sized mattress into the small bathroom to protect me from flying debris.

No tornado near Austin, scads of rain again - fortunately some of it finally dropped on the Highland Lake chain, and we're continuing to put a dent in the drought.

You folks have had a lot of miserable weather lately. It seems that the tornadoes, etc are a little early this year. Stay safe!

At least there's some useful rain in the dark clouds...

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#6 memesuze

memesuze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,278 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:02 PM

No basement to hide in? Tornadoes scare me. A lot.

Very few basements in Texas, few fallout/storm shelters remaining from the 50s, and no one seems to be building houses yet with those tornado-proof rooms.

Yep, they're very scary - frequently arising out of nowhere with little warning, and often in the middle of the night. And warning sirens have disappeared from most towns.
"When you think about it, all of my greatest work is poop tomorrow." - Mario Batali

Even if you live to be 100, life is short.

#7 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,786 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:11 AM

If you haven't visited the Brooklyn Botanic Garden yet, here's a taste of what you've been missing.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

“I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.”

"One of the Evil Twin beers I tried smelled like a foot." - LiquidNY

"I don't have time to point out all the ways in which you're wrong" - irnscrabblechf52

#8 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,563 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:27 AM

Thanks for the pix. Not that I don't want to schlep to Brooklyn, but City Hall Park is similarly bosomed blossomed. If it weren't for allergies, I'd say this is the best year, ever. Just gorgeous!

I don't want to seem obsessed with this, but . . . -- Sneakeater, August 13, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#9 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,449 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:02 AM

If you haven't visited the Brooklyn Botanic Garden yet, here's a taste of what you've been missing.

Similarly, I highly recommend the Orchid Show at NYBG. Absolutely spectacular.
Future Legacy Participant.

#10 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,979 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:34 PM

Similarly, I highly recommend the Orchid Show at NYBG. Absolutely spectacular.

Posted Image
NYBG Orchid Show, 2012 by Sandra Levine, on Flickr

#11 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,786 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:53 PM

The Cherry Blossom Festival at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden is in 2 weeks. Anyone who wants to see actual cherry blossoms ought to get over there this week or by next Saturday at the latest. The trees are 80% in bloom and their peak will have passed by next weekend, a full week before the festival. These pictures were taken on Friday, April 13th.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Of course the ducks don't care.

Posted Image

“I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.”

"One of the Evil Twin beers I tried smelled like a foot." - LiquidNY

"I don't have time to point out all the ways in which you're wrong" - irnscrabblechf52

#12 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:10 PM

The Cherry Blossom Festival at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden is in 2 weeks. Anyone who wants to see actual cherry blossoms ought to get over there this week or by next Saturday at the latest. The trees are 80% in bloom and their peak will have passed by next weekend, a full week before the festival. These pictures were taken on Friday, April 13th.

Nice pix!

Everything is out of sync in Jersey this year, just blooming in one mad rush.
It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

Please come visit my rock concert blog: Tantalized.

#13 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,979 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:14 PM

Nice pix!

Everything is out of sync in Jersey this year, just blooming in one mad rush.

The cherry trees blossomed earlyon Roosevelt Island this year, too. The festival is next week, but the peak has already passed.

#14 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:40 PM

All of our trees are in blossom as well which hast to be about 3 weeks early. Of course you get into summer mode and then get smacked...

Yesterday it was above 70 degF in the late afternoon when the sun peaked out. This morning when I left the house at 6am it was 33 degF, very windy, with a rain/snow mix falling. Nobody was very happy that I had opened all the windows last night before going to bed.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#15 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,972 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:29 PM

Hadn't visited Carl Schurz Park before. It's the setting for Gracie Mansion, and it was very attractive this weekend: many different colors of blossoms.