14 replies to this topic

#1 Maison Rustique

Maison Rustique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:46 AM

I guess I just don't get around enough. There is a fairly new Chinese place (maybe 5 tables, mostly take-out) nearby. I stopped in this afternoon to pick up a menu. According to the menu, they serve Chinese food, New York style. I'm quite sure I've never heard of NY style Chinese before. What on earth does that mean?
Deb
Don't use a big word where a diminutive one will suffice.

#2 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:01 AM

where is the restaurant?

#3 Maison Rustique

Maison Rustique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:00 AM

Technically, Kansas City, Mo, but just over the Liberty, MO line.
Deb

#4 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,798 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:37 AM

In New York in 2012 there is no distinct "New York" style. Chinese restaurants have morphed into multiple regional variations. Fujianese, Sichuan, Hunan, Hong Kong, Shanghai. Malaysian offshoots. Indian-Chinese too. The Cantonese restaurants are still around too. Most are bad but there are some that are good.

My guess is that it's Cantonese stuff, circa 1975, when there was very little variation between Chinese restaurants in New York. If you link to their menu we can get a better idea of what your place is serving.

“I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.”

"One of the Evil Twin beers I tried smelled like a foot." - LiquidNY

"I don't have time to point out all the ways in which you're wrong" - irnscrabblechf52

#5 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,669 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:07 AM

transplanted new yorkers in l.a of a certain vintage are known to complain about the lack of nyc style chinese. this usually means they don't know much about chinese food.

marginally relatedly, i have a friend who moved from ny/nj to l.a for work in the late 90s. his holy grail was a type of burger he used to eat in college in new jersey that was dubbed the l.a burger. he thought he was going to be in l.a burger heaven in los angeles; but he could never find a l.a burger anywhere in l.a. then a year later he came very close in some diner in the san fernando valley when he ordered something they called the new york burger.

my annoying opinions: untimely whisky reviews and occasional cultural commentary

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#6 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,681 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:50 AM

On the Chowhound LA board the search for New York style Chinese is a recurring topic. I think it's basically Ameicanized Chinese from years gone by.

I got that gin in my system
Somebody's gon' be my victim.

Big Freedia

#7 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,077 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:25 PM

transplanted new yorkers in l.a of a certain vintage are known to complain about the lack of nyc style chinese. this usually means they don't know much about chinese food.

marginally relatedly, i have a friend who moved from ny/nj to l.a for work in the late 90s. his holy grail was a type of burger he used to eat in college in new jersey that was dubbed the l.a burger. he thought he was going to be in l.a burger heaven in los angeles; but he could never find a l.a burger anywhere in l.a. then a year later he came very close in some diner in the san fernando valley when he ordered something they called the new york burger.

Then there is the Cali Burger which means, lettuce and tomato in Jersey Hamburger Places.. Though, it may be a national term.. I don't know.
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#8 Maison Rustique

Maison Rustique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:44 PM

Thanks all! In So. Calif., I never encountered this. It seemed more important to be authentic to the country/region of origin, if that makes sense. I wasn't sure if it was something they put out there for us ignorant mid-westerners to make us think we were getting a more sophisticated type of Chinese take-out. LOL!I don't know if they have a website, but will check and post a link if they do.
Deb

#9 Maison Rustique

Maison Rustique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:53 PM

Apparently, this is a chain. Link to Urbanspoon Reviews. New York Style Chinese seems to be an accepted term/cuisine by most folks, so I guess I really have had my head in the sand for the past 50 years. I may try it, but honestly would rather go back to our also recently-opened Indian restaurant.
Deb

#10 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,798 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:55 PM

There are pictures of their menu.

All the old faves are there. Egg roll. Pupu platter. Chow mein. There are some nods to the 1980s - kung pao chicken, roast pork with garlic sauce.

If they cook this stuff carefully it can be decent if unexciting. If not, it can be awful. I guess what I'm saying is that there's not a whole lot of up side here.

FWIW, about 30% to 40% of the Chinese restaurants in New York are still serving this stuff. Some people like it.

"I don't have time to point out all the ways in which you're wrong" - irnscrabblechf52

#11 Maison Rustique

Maison Rustique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:30 PM

All the old faves are there. Egg roll. Pupu platter. Chow mein. There are some nods to the 1980s - kung pao chicken, roast pork with garlic sauce.

If they cook this stuff carefully it can be decent if unexciting. If not, it can be awful. I guess what I'm saying is that there's not a whole lot of up side here.

FWIW, about 30% to 40% of the Chinese restaurants in New York are still serving this stuff. Some people like it.

I couldn't quite put it into words when I looked at their menu, but you said it well--unexciting. There was nothing there that made me want to jump right on the phone and order dinner.

I think I forgot to mention that when I went in to grab a menu, it smelled like pizza in there! :lol:
Deb

#12 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,878 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:38 PM

I couldn't quite put it into words when I looked at their menu, but you said it well--unexciting. There was nothing there that made me want to jump right on the phone and order dinner.

I think I forgot to mention that when I went in to grab a menu, it smelled like pizza in there! :lol:

if the pizza was burnt on one side, it's brooklyn style chinese food

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#13 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,203 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:57 PM

My guess is that it's Cantonese stuff, circa 1975, when there was very little variation between Chinese restaurants in New York. If you link to their menu we can get a better idea of what your place is serving.

This is still the mainstream cuisine for old school Chinese takeaway places (the ones that often double as Mexcian and/or sushi), isn't it?
I never said that

#14 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,798 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:12 PM

This is still the mainstream cuisine for old school Chinese takeaway places (the ones that often double as Mexcian and/or sushi), isn't it?

Yep. That's why I said 30-40% of the Chinese places in NYC are still selling this stuff. Granted, most of them are grim take out places with a couple of tables for eat-in customers but they're still around. I think a lot of people have come to expect a higher level of execution from Chinese restaurants here but there are plenty of people who don't care very much.

A few years ago I was eating at Grand Sichuan House in Bay Ridge, a restaurant in the same general range as Hot Kitchen, when a big fat guy came in and demanded chow mein takeout. He was amazed that they didn't have it. "You call yourselves a Chinese restaurant???"

Those people are still out there and those crapass takeout places are there to meet their chow mein needs.

#15 TaliesinNYC

TaliesinNYC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,138 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:33 PM

think of roast pork fried rice with half a deep-fried fried chicken, extra hot sauce on top.

when it's good, it's great ... but most of the time, it can be dreck.

you take your chances sometimes.