9 replies to this topic

#1 Slapsie Maxie

Slapsie Maxie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:32 AM

I am not sure if anyone has mentioned IN OUR TIME yet, but it is rapidly becoming one of my favourite Radio 4 programmes and I have downloaded dozens of episodes from I Tunes.

Each half or one hour episode is led by Melvyn Bragg, one time host of the excellent South Bank Show, and brings together scholars to discuss subjects in the areas of philosophy, religion, history, culture and science.

Obviously, given the time limits, the discussions can only ever be a snapshot, but they are a great introduction, particularly to subjects for which you might only have a passing knowledge.

Today, on a flight back from Panama, I listened to fascinating discussions on Uncle Tom's Cabin, the comedies of Menander, the observatory at Jaipur, King Alfred's battle at Edington, The Field of The Cloth of Gold and The Poincare Conjecture.

Well worth checking out.

Slapsie

#2 foodie52

foodie52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,340 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:32 AM

Thanks for that. I'll find it , and let John know as well.
[size="4"]Visit our website for updates...Friends of Colombian Orphans

Donations are always gratefully accepted.

#3 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:47 PM

Melvin struggling with anything even marginally outside his comfort zone (i.e., absolutely everything) is quite hilarious.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#4 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:48 PM

Thanks for that. I'll find it , and let John know as well.

Here.

#5 balex

balex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:46 PM

Melvin struggling with anything even marginally outside his comfort zone (i.e., absolutely everything) is quite hilarious.

Yes, but that's part of his shtick isn't it? He is the listener's representative, so he can't be too smart.

#6 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:15 PM

Yes, but that's part of his shtick isn't it? He is the listener's representative, so he can't be too smart.

I've never been able to take him seriously since he interviewed Pete Townsend and started a question "Your first single was 'In The Face'*..."

* In reality...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9BUfSSxyAs

#7 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70,017 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:44 PM

:lol:

I was stuck behind him in a crowd once, and overcome with an only just resistible desire to bite him savagely in the back of the neck.

#8 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:03 PM

I once ran into him in the Garrick after what had obviously been a substantial "dinner".

#9 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70,017 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:15 PM

"Cheers!"

Posted Image

#10 memesuze

memesuze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:35 PM

Some of the other BBC4 podcasts are in my regular rotation, like Play of the Week, here's a blog/newsfeed that keeps me abreast of upcoming items of interest. That's where I learned about the multi-episode dramatisation of Life and Fate that was terrific. Some of the Radio 4's podcasts are only available for download for a week, so don't delay if you find something you want to d/l.
"When you think about it, all of my greatest work is poop tomorrow." - Mario Batali

Even if you live to be 100, life is short.