343 replies to this topic

#1 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,469 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 04:30 PM

He's already claimed the new place will be more like a "real" restaurant.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#2 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70,306 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 05:19 PM

Counter was a large, comfortable dining space. Of course, you can rip everything out and turn it into Coyote Ugly with tacos, but fingers crossed.

#3 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,469 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 05:25 PM

I was told that the new place will have a chef's table, which will probably supersede these monthly special regional dinners.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#4 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,490 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:36 PM

Empellon Cocina now taking reservations.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#5 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,490 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:43 AM

It is!

There are busboys who cannot speak, and an asshole waiter who pretends to correct their errors, clears plates before they're done, and pours wine excessively, a manager or two hiding in the kitchen, a pretty waitress who doesn't listen. There's an army of useless, uninformed, untrained, careless staff.

The food, I'll write about it tomorrow, some of it is good, some not at all, almost all of it not very good at all for sharing even though the pretty waitress tells you how it's all great for that, like Mexican tapas (!?), here is your Bruneyio (because she was told every ll on the menu is yi?)

#6 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,105 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:22 AM

So what's a masa chip?
Why not mayo?

#7 cstuart

cstuart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:23 AM

It is!

There are busboys who cannot speak, and an asshole waiter who pretends to correct their errors, clears plates before they're done, and pours wine excessively, a manager or two hiding in the kitchen, a pretty waitress who doesn't listen. There's an army of useless, uninformed, untrained, careless staff.

The food, I'll write about it tomorrow, some of it is good, some not at all, almost all of it not very good at all for sharing even though the pretty waitress tells you how it's all great for that, like Mexican tapas (!?), here is your Bruneyio (because she was told every ll on the menu is yi?)

Can you tell us how you really feel?

#8 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:51 PM

I am not sure why Orik would have gone to this place on the second or third night of service and expected anything different.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#9 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:32 PM

It is!

And the portions were too small?....

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#10 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,490 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:15 PM

I am not sure why Orik would have gone to this place on the second or third night of service and expected anything different.

My reaction to the service already included a discount for that Posted Image (I don't think Stupak would have opened a restaurant where the kitchen is operating like the foh was operating last night, so I'm not sure why he agrees to have that level of service)

Anyway, the food:

Guacamole ("For The Table") with pistachios and masa crisps. This was highly recommended by our waitress. The masa crisps are large crackers a la WD-50 but about 3mm thick, nice but not nearly as nice as good tortillas. The guacamole was very pretty - large chunks of avocado with beautiful green pistachios and some green chili - unfortunately it was so incredibly acidic that it was impossible to get any particular flavor from it. An accompanying pistachio salsa was also quite acidic but at least delivered some pistachio flavor.

King crab with crab flan and some other ingredients - beautiful presentation in that modernist style of repeated patterns on the plate, topped by some foam. Unfortunately the contents turned out to be pieces of waterlogged, almost tasteless crab, sitting in what seemed like a thin layer of unintentionally clotted cream.

Red shrimps with crispy masa (which is not the same as masa crisps) and sea urchin mousse - another very pretty plate. This had a kick to it and seemed to be running some dialog with camarones enchipotlados. Much better than the crab but I can still think of many better uses for the ingredients.

Pork tongue sopes with refried beans and de arbol salsa - the most simply and traditionally delicious plate of the meal - three small sopes filled with beans and topped with tongue and some mayo-ish salsa.

Cuttlefish with tiny potatoes, black mole, chorizo mayo - very nice and visually striking - seemed like a reference to txipirones en su tinta.

Rib eye cap with menudo and puffed tendon - excellent. The puffed tendon was crackling like a shrimp cracker, the flavors of menudo were all there without the huge bowl of soup, and the beef was great.

Lamb sweetbreads with longaniza - the lamb sweetbreads with parsley root and pumpkin seeds - the sweetbreads were among the best lamb sweetbreads I've had. The sauce and veggies were also lovely. The longaniza was weird, and not in the way longaniza can be weird because it's been "sun aged", but in the "someone seems to have forgotten to cook me" kind of way. Still overall a good dish.

Overall a very mixed experience despite the very clear professionalism of the kitchen - maybe Plotnicki can go there and explain where they're going wrong Posted Image

#11 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70,306 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:16 PM

Thing is, with the exception of the (fabulous) manager, service was much like that at the original Empellon, long after it opened. There's more to running a restaurant than running a kitchen.

#12 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,490 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:23 PM

And the portions were too small?....

You're telling it wrong. Posted Image

As for portions - one section of the menu is described as "Small Plates" - a category further divided into "Fish" and "Meat", while the rest of the menu is divided into "Mariscos", "Masa", "Queso", and, wait for it, "Vegetables" (because who knows the word for veggies in Mexican)

The small plates aren't any smaller or larger than other plates, and "Masa" seems to really mean Antojitos. They recommend about five plates for two people, probably assuming you'll take two desserts as well. Seven plates were plenty for two people with our tremendous capacity.

#13 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,469 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:28 PM

(because who knows the word for veggies in Mexican)

Yeah it's so different.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#14 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,490 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:29 PM

(because who knows the word for veggies in Mexican)

Yeah it's so different.

Posted Image

Exactly.

eta: perhaps it's very clever commentary - "Meat" and "Fish" vs "Mariscos" and "Queso", but the veggies? who knows about the veggies.

#15 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,490 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:24 PM

You guys are so uncharitable. It could be a typbo.

Everything is possible.

By the way, the background music was nice, mostly a well assembled compilation of pitchfork faves.