I never said that

#62 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,688 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:52 PM

Yep. Dark, soft, funky, but almost like a blood sausage.

#63 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,110 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:04 PM

Did you really like that longaniza?

Too salty?

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#64 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,114 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:23 PM

Did you really like that longaniza?

Too salty?

Try harder.
I never said that

#65 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,142 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:51 PM

Thanks. Going tonight and have that gordita and crab dish in my sights. And I think another member of the party will be all over the sweetbreads. Although I still predict our third friend will hate this place.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#66 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,114 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:04 PM

Try the rib eye cap too.
I never said that

#67 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,688 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:29 PM

Not on the menu, I think, when I went. From the online menu, "Rabbit with Porcini-Poblano Stuffing,
Mustard Greens and Green Chorizo Gravy" sounds interesting.

But I am still getting over not ordering the whole rabbit at Masten Lake.

#68 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:32 PM

Not on the menu, I think, when I went. From the online menu, "Rabbit with Porcini-Poblano Stuffing,
Mustard Greens and Green Chorizo Gravy" sounds interesting.

But I am still getting over not ordering the whole rabbit at Masten Lake.

you can always go to Il Buco
“Eat me,’’ it says. “Eat me and die.’’ -- Jonathan Gold

Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not OK, then it's not the end.

#69 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,142 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:43 PM

I went last night and thought it very uneven. Loved the guacamole and thought the pistachios added great texture and flavor. The masa crisps are very good and readily replenished. We all drank a mezcal-amped margarita that was quite delicious. The peeky toe crab dish was stunning, a very delicate interplay of flavor and texture. That crab flan tempted me to lick the dish to get every last bit of it.The gordita was again a great mix of flavors but the texture was off--the masa was very tough which made the gordita hard to cut. They did not have the rib eye cap but were offering a special of thinly sliced dry-aged New York strip, little postage-stamp-sized slivers of beautiful-looking rare beef with a black bean salsa. The whole dish was woefully underseasoned to the point of tasting washed-out. The chicken tamal was quite credible but avoid like the plague its habanero to the thousandth power salsa. I have an asbestos palate and a dot on my tamal nearly took my head off. Manila clams with puffed beef tendon were very nice but a little lacking in seasoning and needed way more of the crisp, puffed tendon which was sadly underepresented. The scallops were great, beautiful fat sea scallops, very sweet, chili-spiced, on a plate scattered with cubes of roasted parsnip. The cashew salsa--meh. Undersalted and not enough of the touted smokiness. Our server was very good, and good at explaining the menu which is annoyingly split into categories that can at times appear arbitrary. He correctly estimated how much three should order, too. And while it was enough food we all came away with the feeling we'd just had a substantial snack for $100 a head all in.

The space is nicely lit, and the bar area attractive. The chairs and tables are ugly and pedestrian-looking. And they need, as my companion pointed out, to hang a short curtain, just a foot or two, at the top of the open doorway into the gorgeous kitchen. It would eliminate the kitchen ceiling lights shining in the eyes of diners in the doorway's sightline.

In da house last night: Wylie.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#70 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,518 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:59 PM

Stupak is already hard at work on a special dinner item for their (highly anticipated) visit.

Pride of the Yucatan

Posted Image

That looks EXACTLY like something we were served at the Iraqi embassy by the ambassador's wife, when I was there with a group from Women Chefs and Restaurateurs. She was, in fact, very proud of it. As would have been My Beloved Aunt Bette, who served something similar back in the 1950s.

I don't want to seem obsessed with this, but . . . -- Sneakeater, August 13, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#71 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,688 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:17 PM

Bad luck on the gordita and the cashew salsa, Daisy.

#72 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:36 PM

ha, we were there on Wed. night between boozing/eating appointments so just for a little bite - the crab and rabbit. as Daisy said, the crab flan is wonderful, the whole dish very nice. i liked the rabbit too - light, sous vide, delicate texture and flavors - lighter than i expected from the description. the menu categories are pretty silly - the rabbit was under "small plates" with a size and price tag ($27) more of an entree. but, as Daisy notes, it can quickly add up to $100 a head without feeling substantial enough.

i love that they pour Red Hook chardonnay by the glass. also, they seem to have an extensive selection of mezcals, which is always a good thing. drinks sounded fairly interesting although the reduced cola one was sweet rather than smoky. still, it worked (and probably better than anything we had at the Taqueria).

ETA: oh, and Jean-Georges was there

#73 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 40,264 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:37 PM

Hey I was there on Wednesday night!
Bar Loser

MF Old

#74 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:40 PM

Hey I was there on Wednesday night!

nobody goes to Acme any more

#75 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 40,264 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:40 PM

Yeah, speaking of the menu categories, I asked the bartender what the difference was between "Mariscos" and "Small Plates -- Fish".

He said that "Mariscos" were cold whereas "Small Plates -- Fish" were warm to hot. Which seemed reasonable.

He went on that "Small Plates -- Fish" were larger portions than "Mariscos". I asked him if it struck him as strange that something called a "small plate" would be bigger than something with no size designation. He went to pour someone else's drink.
Bar Loser

MF Old