3 replies to this topic

#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,611 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:46 PM

Eater reports on a bistro which apparently reduced the quality and quantity of its food to match the deep discounts on the Groupon discounts it was offering. The situation reached the point that Groupon has offered to refund purchases.

Here's the heartwarming story of Thomas Street Bistro, a plucky restaurant that may have outsmarted Groupon and other daily dealers, by allegedly reducing the quality of its food and service to such a level--so as to profit from daily deal offers.

My name is Thomas Street, and I'm an addict

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#2 Eden

Eden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:21 PM

Eater reports on a bistro which apparently reduced the quality and quantity of its food to match the deep discounts on the Groupon discounts it was offering. The situation reached the point that Groupon has offered to refund purchases.

Here's the heartwarming story of Thomas Street Bistro, a plucky restaurant that may have outsmarted Groupon and other daily dealers, by allegedly reducing the quality of its food and service to such a level--so as to profit from daily deal offers.

My name is Thomas Street, and I'm an addict

As a groupon-aholic I've wondered about the serial grouponers & how they could be affording it unless they'd lied about prices in the first place, which is harder for a restaurant...
A change of meat is often good, and those who are wearied of common food take new pleasure in a novel meal.
- Athenaeus

#3 croseattle

croseattle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:24 PM

This place is on my street and I only went once - for brunch, which had a strange prix fixe menu, but was good. We were the only ones in there though.

I'm interested if any MFers have been there and their impression of the place because the reviews are so extreme that I'm afraid to try it for dinner.

#4 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:40 PM

After looking at their menu and website, I can't take the place seriously. Like a bad charicature of French food. Wine list is goofy, apparently cheap until you realize the Los Cardos they have for $31 retails for $9. I am glad to know they're using white chardonnay in their marinades, as opposed to the red variety, which I've never cared for... <_<
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner