#1 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,187 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:10 AM

Anyone know anything about Pinterest?

I'm particularly interested in how to prevent people from posting my Flickr pictures (without my permission) on Pinterest. I didn't notice anything on my Flickr page that would let me opt out of that. Any ideas?

#2 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,745 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:29 AM

I'm particularly interested in how to prevent people from posting my Flickr pictures (without my permission) on Pinterest. I didn't notice anything on my Flickr page that would let me opt out of that. Any ideas?

good timing on your question

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#3 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:27 AM

I'm not sure what Pinterest is, but I think I'm waiting for Beckettest.
It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

Please come visit my rock concert blog: Tantalized.

#4 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,187 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:12 AM

Thanks! Looks like it's not quite working yet (my share settings are already set to "no", but I've found my stuff on pinterest), but I'll follow up in a week's time.

I know it's not really a big deal, but I just like to know what people are doing with my photos. If they asked permission first, I'd be OK with it, but that's not the case right now.

#5 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,745 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:23 PM

Thanks! Looks like it's not quite working yet (my share settings are already set to "no", but I've found my stuff on pinterest), but I'll follow up in a week's time.

I know it's not really a big deal, but I just like to know what people are doing with my photos. If they asked permission first, I'd be OK with it, but that's not the case right now.

on egullet they'd all be branded criminals and have their posts removed

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#6 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,187 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:52 PM

on egullet they'd all be branded criminals and have their posts removed

I once had my own picture (and post) removed because they thought the picture wasn't mine and was used without permission. When they realized their error, they asked me to post it again, but I ignored them. (But they "found" the picture they deleted and reposted it, anyway)

:lol:

#7 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,505 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:37 PM

<_<

I don't want to seem obsessed with this, but . . . -- Sneakeater, August 13, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#8 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,688 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:11 PM

You're right to complain. It's being widely pointed out that Pinterest is, above all, a platform for people to breach copyright by posting other people's photos.

This is a tricky area legally (I am not a lawyer), but I'd be inclined to write to Pinterest and complain. But you are among thousands of people who are upset about this.

Here are Pinterest's instructions for complainants.

#9 flyfish

flyfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,771 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:23 PM

I ♥ you.
I used to be eye candy but now Im more like eye pickle"
Neil Innes

Your father is going deaf. I cant hear a word he says!
My mom

I hope to set an example, you know, for children and stuff."
Captain Hammer

#10 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,114 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:49 PM

You're right to complain. It's being widely pointed out that Pinterest is, above all, a platform for people to breach copyright by posting other people's photos.

This is a tricky area legally (I am not a lawyer), but I'd be inclined to write to Pinterest and complain. But you are among thousands of people who are upset about this.

Here are Pinterest's instructions for complainants.

How is it different from linking? (eta: or Liking, in the Facebook sense)
I never said that

#11 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,688 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:57 PM

Chalk and cheese. Linking drives traffic to wherever I have decided to post my pictures (or texts). Reproducing my content adds value to your site but does nothing for me.

Liking is neither here nor there.

I love people linking to the Pink Pig; I send cease and desist emails to people who reproduce the content on their own sites.

#12 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:57 PM

Eden and I were just talking about this on FB. She posted an article about an attorney wondering why it was okay on Facebook but not Pinterest.

I started using Pinterest a while ago, simply as an easier way to bookmark websites I wanted to return to. Next thing I knew, people were "repinning" my bookmarks and "following" my pins. I didn't even realize my page was viewable by others - I have a board with gift ideas for friends and family on it! I did some poking around to see if I could make my boards private and found out you can't. I'm still using it for now - until I find something else.
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#13 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,688 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:03 PM

I don't think there is a difference between breaching copyright on Pinterest and doing so on Tumblr and Facebook. The practical difference is that the latter sites (like others) allows users to do all kinds of things in addition to breaching copyright.

Pinterest just seems like it's a breaching copyright machine (I do understand that some people upload pictures to which they have rights).

#14 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,114 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:09 PM

Chalk and cheese. Linking drives traffic to wherever I have decided to post my pictures (or texts). Reproducing my content adds value to your site but does nothing for me.

Liking is neither here nor there.

I love people linking to the Pink Pig; I send cease and desist emails to people who reproduce the content on their own sites.

Eh.

If I embed an image in a message here and provide an external link to the image location then at best the image owner gets some marginal increase in google pagerank, but they pay for the bandwidth consumed while viewing their image on MF.

If someone pins an image then quite often that has promotional value, and it also seems like when you click on in you get a caption with a link to where it's pinned from. (actually, if I click on the image it takes me to the exact place it's pinned from, so it seems like it's even better than the embedded image situation)
I never said that

#15 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,277 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:21 PM

Most linking, thumbnails, etc. are "fair use". I have no opinion on Pinterest

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.