No replies to this topic

#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,611 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:58 AM

Tastee Hut is a tiny chicken and ribs blockhouse in far southern VA. Everything is cooked to order, so you'll wait a bit, but it's wonderful.

I ordered a chicken deal, 5 pieces of chicken for $6. Took about 25 minutes, and came out hot. Not warm, hot. Wonderful, crusty skillet chicken. Peppery crust made from flour and (probably) ground corn flakes and some corn starch. Each piece was moist, crust was flaky, etc. The breast was huge, yet still managed to be properly cooked inside, while not overcooking the crust.

There's not much to the little hamlet, but these folks really know what they're doing. Another visitor mentioned that the pulled pork is even better than the chicken, but that tasting will have to wait for another day.

Tastee Hut
12420 Blue Star Highway, Stony Creek, VA 23882

I'd consider calling ahead, several people arrived, picked up bags of food already packed to go. Some money changed hands, and they were on their way in a matter of minutes

(434) 246-2328

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman