337 replies to this topic

#1 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,770 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:29 PM

According to Tribeca Citizen, Atera (which was supposed to have opened last September, yeah right <_<) will have F&F next week.

From their mouth to God's ear.

For those who have forgotten, this was the precious Compose with not-ready-for-prime-time chef Nick Curtin that is being replaced by a new place with Matthew Lightner as chef.

I don't want to seem obsessed with this, but . . . -- Sneakeater, August 13, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#2 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,557 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:10 PM

Since that's dated March 2, when they say "next week" they probably mean THIS week.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#3 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,770 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:53 PM

Yeah, well, I'm not holding my breath in any case.

I don't want to seem obsessed with this, but . . . -- Sneakeater, August 13, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#4 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,557 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:35 PM

I think that's a good policy to adopt with respect to this place.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#5 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69,612 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:27 PM

Worth repeating, perhaps, that the name is Hebrew for "pray."

#6 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,351 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:29 AM

Except it isn't Posted Image
I never said that

#7 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:32 PM

Grub Street has photos, and explains that "Atera" is Basque for "to go out". The menu format is $150 prix fixe for ten courses.

I have to say that none of the photos are screaming, "I must eat this!" They could be perfectly good, even superb, but I won't be rushing over to spend one and a half Benjamins to find out. This is another version of the Romera problem. At this price, you expect one of the top ten restaurants in the city. I'll let other people test that hypothesis before I'm prepared to test it myself.

The website is up. Most informative.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#8 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,351 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:51 PM

They should come up with a meaning in New Nordic next.
I never said that

#9 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,774 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:15 PM

One would hope the food tastes better than it looks - or they are in dire need of a better photographer.

#10 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69,612 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:19 PM

I saw Ryan Sutton tweeting about the price. A big gap is opening up in tasting menu prices. I've eating tasting menus recently at La Quenelle and Gwynett St for $75. I believe Degustation is still hanging in at that price. Yes, this is ten courses - which is more courses - but it's not like those were small meals at the places I've visited.

I have the impression that there was a narrower range of prices a couple of years ago.

ETA: I see Ramirez is bringing a ten seat tasting table to Manhattan later this year. I expect the price for that will be stratospheric.

#11 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:14 PM

I saw Ryan Sutton tweeting about the price. A big gap is opening up in tasting menu prices. I've eating tasting menus recently at La Quenelle and Gwynett St for $75. I believe Degustation is still hanging in at that price. Yes, this is ten courses - which is more courses - but it's not like those were small meals at the places I've visited.

It's not so much that $150 is an unfair price for ten courses, as that he is not allowing the option of ordering la carte, which La Quenelle and Degustation both do.

Degustations's $75 for ten courses is really remarkable.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#12 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69,612 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:25 PM

Yes, the fact that it's an entry price is an issue in itself. I was just struck by the divergence we're seeing in tasting menu costs. I'm not prejudging whether it's fair; I don't know the guy's work (which in itself is going to make it a hard sell).

#13 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,351 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:29 PM

It's not the price that's the issue, but the difficulty believing the food and service will match the pretense.
I never said that

#14 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,589 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:32 PM

... and then we wonder why Torrisi, Roberta's, Momofuku, Mads (slightly different, I know) et al. start with the casual restaurant before going high-end.

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#15 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69,612 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:52 PM

It's not the price that's the issue, but the difficulty believing the food and service will match the pretense.

Maybe they didn't hear about Romera.