33 replies to this topic

#1 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,124 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:47 AM

okay this is kind of a weird thing to be sad about. perhaps frustrated is a better word. my beloved scotch-brite pads have disappeared from the supermarket shelves, capriciously discontinued by the meanies at 3-M. i am not a very domesticated person, but i do cook and for my whole life it was pounded into my head that scotch brite pads will clean perfectly and never ruin your dishes or cookware. i have to say that i've found it to be true. now at the end of last year it started to get harder and harder to find scotch brite on the shelves of supermarkets and big box stores. it always seemed like i was buying the last box on the shelf. then early this year, i thought maybe i should just buy a case online to avoid hunting for them. well, they were all sold out everywhere, even amazon. i contacted the folks at 3-M to ask where i might find them and they wrote back to say that they were discontinued and that my only hope would be the large product liquidator they sold the remaining supply off to.then i started to see that others were also looking for scotch brite pads and writing to 3-M. people who had figured it out a week or two before me had bought up the remaining stock online by the caseload. 3-M has no replacement product and seems surprised that folks miss a product they've been using for over 40 years. what's next will they stop making scotch tape?

what are some of your favorite things that have died a shocking and sudden death, disappearing from store shelves with no warning? how did you weather the storm? did a public outcry ever bring your beloved product back to the shelves?

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#2 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:18 AM

My beloved O'Ryan's Sour Cream and Onion potato chips disappeared. I don't know what happened to them, but they just vanished. I was so concerned that I wrote to Hostess, the makers of my beloved, and asked what happened to them. They replied, "Sorry, we make Hostess Fruit pies and Twinkies. We don't know anything about potato chips." Turns out the Canadian Hostess Company and the American Hostess Company aren't the same. Oops.

I did write to the Canadian branch of Frito-Lay (who bought Hostess or something like that), but I never received a reply. I do have a glimmer of hope. I heard there is an O'Ryan's brand of potato chips in New Zealand that might be related, so I just have to find my way to New Zealand.

I don't know of US Scotch Brite and Canadian Scotch Brite are the same, but I think your pads may still exist in Canada.
http://search.london...eware"&start1=1

I have great pity for your situation, so if you tell me which ones you use, I will try to find some and send them to you.

#3 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,124 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:49 AM

My beloved O'Ryan's Sour Cream and Onion potato chips disappeared. I don't know what happened to them, but they just vanished. I was so concerned that I wrote to Hostess, the makers of my beloved, and asked what happened to them. They replied, "Sorry, we make Hostess Fruit pies and Twinkies. We don't know anything about potato chips." Turns out the Canadian Hostess Company and the American Hostess Company aren't the same. Oops.

I did write to the Canadian branch of Frito-Lay (who bought Hostess or something like that), but I never received a reply. I do have a glimmer of hope. I heard there is an O'Ryan's brand of potato chips in New Zealand that might be related, so I just have to find my way to New Zealand.

I don't know of US Scotch Brite and Canadian Scotch Brite are the same, but I think your pads may still exist in Canada.
http://search.london...eware"&start1=1

I have great pity for your situation, so if you tell me which ones you use, I will try to find some and send them to you.

sweet baby jebsus they might still live in canada!
they look like this Posted ImagePosted Image
i sent london drugs an email asking about shipping to the u.s. since i want to buy an entire case. if you happen to get to a london drug and they look like the right thing please let me know, my delicate kitchenware is waiting
bless you and good bless canada

i feel like elaine on seinfeld. my new catch phrase "are you pad worthy?"

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

#4 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,124 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:17 AM

devastation!

Dear Splinky:

Thank you for choosing London Drugs for your on-line shopping needs and taking the time to write to us with your inquiry.

Please be advised at this time we do not do international orders and we apologize for any inconvenience involved. You must have a Canadian registered credit card and Canadian ship to address. Should you require further information and/or have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us at any time.

Once again, thank you kindly for your interest in shopping with London Drugs.

Sincerely,

Customer Service Administrator
London Drugs Limited
604-272-7414 or 1-888-991-2299

~Jack Handey

#5 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:34 AM

Do not feel despair. On the scotch-brite website, these are the non-scratch scour pads

Different, no?

But there is the suds and scrub pad .

This looks more like yours, I think. London Drugs does not have these, so I will search far and wide until I locate them.

Had I known, I'd have picked some up in Japan. I used to use these types of sponges a lot in Japan.

#6 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,124 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:49 AM

Do not feel despair. On the scotch-brite website, these are the non-scratch scour pads

Different, no?

But there is the suds and scrub pad .

This looks more like yours, I think. London Drugs does not have these, so I will search far and wide until I locate them.

Had I known, I'd have picked some up in Japan. I used to use these types of sponges a lot in Japan.

it's definitely the ones at london drugs. they are unique because they are made from wool. i'm guessing they are discontinued in canada too but just not out of stock yet. i compared the model number against photos shown on other sites. the model is NSSP-8. the price is not bad either. a case of 10 or 12 boxes should weigh about a kilo. i can't believe they only take canadian credit cards

~Jack Handey

#7 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:22 AM

Should I order a dozen? 1 box is 0.08kg. A dozen boxes including shipping is the low low price of CAD $48.53 (shipping is less than $8, taxes less than $5).

But I also found it on other websites which might be cheaper (like with free shipping). And I will call London Drugs to see if I can get them locally rather than buying online.

#8 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,124 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:31 AM

Should I order a dozen? 1 box is 0.08kg. A dozen boxes including shipping is the low low price of CAD $48.53 (shipping is less than $8, taxes less than $5).

But I also found it on other websites which might be cheaper (like with free shipping). And I will call London Drugs to see if I can get them locally rather than buying online.

please don't order until i check around first for a store that will ship. that would be awesome unless the shipping to new york turns out to be a bazillion dollars. is there a way to find out what it would cost to ship here? i'll poke around online to see if any other stores up there have them and will ship to usa

~Jack Handey

#9 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:50 AM

please don't order until i check around first for a store that will ship. that would be awesome unless the shipping to new york turns out to be a bazillion dollars. is there a way to find out what it would cost to ship here? i'll poke around online to see if any other stores up there have them and will ship to usa

I checked and for me to ship to NY would be just over CAN$12 if I ship by small packet surface. If you can't wait the extra two days, you can ship by small packet air for just over CAN$15, so in total (ship to me+ship to you), it would be about $20-23 for shipping. But if I can find the product locally, then there's just the ship-to-you cost.

ibuyofficesupply.ca has them, and they have a US-based site ibuyofficesupply.com but the US site doesn't have the pads listed (that I could find). But the Canadian site might ship to the US. I couldn't find any info about shipping to the US on the site.

frontierpc.com also carries it. They may ship to the US, but I suspect it will be pricier (shipping to Manitoba would be just under $13). The pads, themselves, are almost twice as much compared to London Drugs.

#10 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,124 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:53 AM

I checked and for me to ship to NY would be just over CAN$12 if I ship by small packet surface. If you can't wait the extra two days, you can ship by small packet air for just over CAN$15, so in total (ship to me+ship to you), it would be about $20-23 for shipping. But if I can find the product locally, then there's just the ship-to-you cost.

ibuyofficesupply.ca has them, and they have a US-based site ibuyofficesupply.com but the US site doesn't have the pads listed (that I could find). But the Canadian site might ship to the US. I couldn't find any info about shipping to the US on the site.

frontierpc.com also carries it. They may ship to the US, but I suspect it will be pricier (shipping to Manitoba would be just under $13). The pads, themselves, are almost twice as much compared to London Drugs.

thanks i'll check some of those places tommow and let you know. thanks for your kind offer to help. right now i have to fight callie who is ready to sleep and pitching a major fit because i am not ready for bed yet

~Jack Handey

#11 GordonCooks

GordonCooks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:24 PM

okay this is kind of a weird thing to be sad about. perhaps frustrated is a better word. my beloved scotch-brite pads have disappeared from the supermarket shelves, capriciously discontinued by the meanies at 3-M. i am not a very domesticated person, but i do cook and for my whole life it was pounded into my head that scotch brite pads will clean perfectly and never ruin your dishes or cookware. i have to say that i've found it to be true. now at the end of last year it started to get harder and harder to find scotch brite on the shelves of supermarkets and big box stores. it always seemed like i was buying the last box on the shelf. then early this year, i thought maybe i should just buy a case online to avoid hunting for them. well, they were all sold out everywhere, even amazon. i contacted the folks at 3-M to ask where i might find them and they wrote back to say that they were discontinued and that my only hope would be the large product liquidator they sold the remaining supply off to.then i started to see that others were also looking for scotch brite pads and writing to 3-M. people who had figured it out a week or two before me had bought up the remaining stock online by the caseload. 3-M has no replacement product and seems surprised that folks miss a product they've been using for over 40 years. what's next will they stop making scotch tape?

what are some of your favorite things that have died a shocking and sudden death, disappearing from store shelves with no warning? how did you weather the storm? did a public outcry ever bring your beloved product back to the shelves?

3M Scotch Brite pads were originally a body shop supply product - used to scuff a surface before applying primer. They're cheaper at such stores and you get a big box of 6x9s that I cut into squares for my mom.
Jazz is musical improvisation; it is the art of the moment. In the recording of jazz, the inspiration and inventiveness of this moment is made permanent by technology, giving pleasure many years after the performance.

Photography is jazz for the eye. - William Claxton

#12 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,895 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:02 PM

Have you checked the dollar stores and job lot/odd lot places? There seem to be a lot more of them around lately, and they carry stuff like that.

I try never to dine with other people. It just makes things so much easier. -- Anthony Bonner, March 28, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#13 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,621 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:06 PM

I hate it when this happens.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#14 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,096 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:18 PM

3M Scotch Brite pads were originally a body shop supply product - used to scuff a surface before applying primer. They're cheaper at such stores and you get a big box of 6x9s that I cut into squares for my mom.

That's interesting. It looks like Scotch Brite is another one of those products like the microplane that made it out of the workshop and into the kitchen.

Getting some from an auto body place sounds like a permanent solution rather than chasing after the few remaining boxes that are still out there.

ETA - I'll bet that the autobody places carry it in different gauges. It might be useful to take a sample of Scotch Brite with you when you go so you can get the closest match.

“I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.”

"One of the Evil Twin beers I tried smelled like a foot." - LiquidNY

"I don't have time to point out all the ways in which you're wrong" - irnscrabblechf52

#15 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,621 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:45 PM

While splinky is at the body shop, they also carry oil and other useful kitchen items.
Bar Loser

MF Old