Photo

[Woodland Park] Fairway Market on the way?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,082 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:09 PM

The NorthJersey.com site reports that Fairway Market has been approved to take over the former Pathmark site on US 46. This is very convenient to Little Falls, eastern Wayne, Montclair, etc.

Reporter Matthew Kadosh reports the town authorities have OK'd the new store, and Fairway's boss has confirmed the report. That's fabulous news!

The site is 1710 US 46 west. ShopRite of Little Falls is directly across the highway, and the A&S Pork Store is a few hundred feet away. Up the hill and across the street. The site is roughly half way between the Corrado food stores in eastern Clifton and northern Wayne. It should be a very strong market, although I would have guessed a location a little closer to Fairfield would have worked better.

News

Baristanet also has a mention of the new store, too. In the context of a Trader Joe's possibly coming to Clifton

Baristanet

Edited by Rail Paul, 09 March 2012 - 02:17 PM.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#2 marauder

marauder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:30 PM

Lots of interior construction is already taking place. You can see metal framing studs sprouting up inside through the upper windows that they didn't bother to black out. Would be a great location for them. While not apples to oranges, the Wayne Corrados is a money printing machine. A Fairway, with an even larger selection of "better than supermarket" cheeses, baked goods, butcher counter, etc., would also do very well imo. And the area needs it. That Shop Rite across the street is pretty well worn. Closest premium markets are Whole Foods in West Orange and Trader Joe's and Corrados in Wayne.

#3 menton1

menton1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:27 PM

I don't know, but lately Fairway in Paramus is just not what it used to be. The produce quality has slipped, and the produce pricing has soared. Peanuts in shell used to be nice, now the section is poorly maintained and the peanuts are smaller, and mostly broken up or burnt.

Olive bar still pretty good. Cheese is a good selection, but pricing is high. (Maywood much cheaper).

Dairy is a good section. Good variety, decent pricing.

I still like Fairway, but you now have to be more selective. Regular groceries now tend to be cheaper at ShopRite, the good sales are fewer and farther between. Meat section is not what it used to be either.

Perhaps Fairway is just getting too big.

#4 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,082 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:50 PM

I don't know, but lately Fairway in Paramus is just not what it used to be. The produce quality has slipped, and the produce pricing has soared. Peanuts in shell used to be nice, now the section is poorly maintained and the peanuts are smaller, and mostly broken up or burnt.

Olive bar still pretty good. Cheese is a good selection, but pricing is high. (Maywood much cheaper).

I still like Fairway, but you now have to be more selective. Regular groceries now tend to be cheaper at ShopRite, the good sales are fewer and farther between. Meat section is not what it used to be either.

Fairway is indeed growing, I believe the private equity firm that owns it is considering 12 locations in its current plan. That brings a lot of quality control, sourcing, etc considerations. Not to mention management and supervisory engagement.

That said, the area could use some serious competition, and these guys can bring that kind of muscle.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#5 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,569 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:59 PM

There has been talk over the last couple years about Pathmark/A&P closing the store I go to (Cherry Street on the edge of Chinatown/LES) and selling the site to a developer. Any idea if that's a possible location for a new Fairway? I'm not saying that would be a good thing, given the demographic currently served by the Pathmark, which probably views Fairway as too hoity-toity and expensive. This Pathmark has a pretty big catchment area, well up into the LES. But if FM is replacing a Pathmark elsewhere, I just wonder.

I don't want to seem obsessed with this, but . . . -- Sneakeater, August 13, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#6 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,082 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:19 PM

There has been talk over the last couple years about Pathmark/A&P closing the store I go to (Cherry Street on the edge of Chinatown/LES) and selling the site to a developer. Any idea if that's a possible location for a new Fairway? I'm not saying that would be a good thing, given the demographic currently served by the Pathmark, which probably views Fairway as too hoity-toity and expensive. This Pathmark has a pretty big catchment area, well up into the LES. But if FM is replacing a Pathmark elsewhere, I just wonder.

There are a lot of Pathmarks on the real estate market right now. So, an LES conversion to Fairway is possible.

The newer stores (NJ Paramus and Woodland Park) are big locations. I'd guess they're in the 45,000 - 50,000 sf size. That could be their model size for new locations. I haven't been to the place on the UES or new places in Queens.

One store that would seem to fit their demographics very nicely is the vacant Pathmark in North Brunswick NJ. On US 1 at US 130, adjacent to several huge housing parks for Rutgers faculty and students, convenient to a broad population within 5 miles or so.

...Jonathan Waxman

#7 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:28 PM

All the stuff I've seen says you're getting a couple of apartment buildings. I'm not sure what they'll have as retail but some upscale market wouldn't be a surprise.
I never said that

#8 marauder

marauder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:40 PM

I tend to agree with you. That said, even a 7 out of 10 Fairway is an improvement in that neck of the woods in Passaic County. Lets hope that post the expansion Paul talks about they are able to regain their footing and iron things out. A family member did business with them for a confection item a few years ago and they were a very pleasurable to deal with, hands on management team.

I also agree about Maywood market, but very few non-foodies are making that trip from the area we are talking about. I do it, but I get my haircut across the street every 5 weeks or so.

#9 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,569 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:54 PM

All the stuff I've seen says you're getting a couple of apartment buildings. I'm not sure what they'll have as retail but some upscale market wouldn't be a surprise.

Oh dear. Where have you been seeing this? Needless to say, it doesn't seem to be common knowledge in the neighborhood. Maybe up where you are, but not to the south, and probably not where English is not the first language. I'd love to have some idea of what/when to be prepared for. :( And whether to finally get a Costco membership. (Already have Zipcar if need be.)

I don't want to seem obsessed with this, but . . . -- Sneakeater, August 13, 2014

#10 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,082 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:35 PM

Oh dear. Where have you been seeing this? Needless to say, it doesn't seem to be common knowledge in the neighborhood. Maybe up where you are, but not to the south, and probably not where English is not the first language. I'd love to have some idea of what/when to be prepared for. :( And whether to finally get a Costco membership. (Already have Zipcar if need be.)

Off (this) topic, but the Costco stores in Wayne NJ and Edison NJ have liquor and wine licenses. Huge discounts on selected products. Not everything, not all the time, but some really amazing prices.

...Jonathan Waxman

#11 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,569 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:55 PM

Off (this) topic, but the Costco stores in Wayne NJ and Edison NJ have liquor and wine licenses. Huge discounts on selected products. Not everything, not all the time, but some really amazing prices.

Thx, but I've got my sources for alcohol (hic :lol:). I know this was not directed to me, but I'm mostly concerned about groceries.

Although I might be interested in checking out those stores, since I'm always on the lookout for bargains. Who isn't, these days?

#12 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,082 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:32 PM

I stuck my head into the new Fairway in Woodland Park / West Paterson today. Construction has been zooming along, lots of interior and exterior work has been completed in the past few weeks.

I suspect an early Summer opening is in the cards, but that's just a guess.

...Jonathan Waxman

#13 menton1

menton1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:59 PM

Is it true that a Japanese conglomerate has a big piece of Fairway and it's their infusion of cash enabling this dramatic increase in the number of Fairway stores?

#14 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,082 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:31 AM

Is it true that a Japanese conglomerate has a big piece of Fairway and it's their infusion of cash enabling this dramatic increase in the number of Fairway stores?

I believe Sterling Investment Partners is the principal owner of Fairway. They bought out the original owners around 2007, and are funding the expansion. Don't know if there's a Japanese component to their investor mix.

BTW, the crew was hanging the huge Fairway sign on the Woodland Park store this afternoon.

...Jonathan Waxman

#15 coughy

coughy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:51 PM

I heard they were opening on June 6th.