44 replies to this topic

#16 Blondie

Blondie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:26 PM

a cameron smoker and a big green egg [or some other branded ceramic cooker] and some riff raff, walk into a bar...

Weber Smoky Mountain?
BlondieNY.com

#17 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,115 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:46 PM

a cameron smoker and a big green egg [or some other branded ceramic cooker] and some riff raff, walk into a bar...

Weber Smoky Mountain?

exactly and one of these guys Posted Image

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#18 Blondie

Blondie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:04 PM

I bought a Cameron Stovetop Smoker like 3 years ago, and haven't managed to use it yet, and the kitchen ventilation in my new apt is practically non-existent.

If I take it out to the balcony when I open it, can I get away without the fire dept showing up at my door?
BlondieNY.com

#19 Blondie

Blondie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:45 PM

Doesn't anyone have an answer to my question?!
BlondieNY.com

#20 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,115 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:48 PM

could you make a new thread specific to cameron smoker ventilation questions? i would find that less confusing

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

#21 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,277 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:10 AM

Dude, can't you read? This thread is only for questions about replenishing wood chips. Any other questions must be asked in the riff raff thread.

#22 Blondie

Blondie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:13 AM

Dude, can't you read? This thread is only for questions about replenishing wood chips. Any other questions must be asked in the riff raff thread.

Oops, sorry. My bad.

Will it smoke up my kitchen when I replenish the wood chips?
BlondieNY.com

#23 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,115 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:16 AM

Oops, sorry. My bad.

Will it smoke up my kitchen when I replenish the wood chips?

do you plan to soak them first? also, which type of wood? please be more specific in your queries, so that we can help you

~Jack Handey

#24 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:37 AM

Title of this thread: Cameron Cooktop Smoker Based on titles, how is this thread any less of a catch-all thread than the other one?

Rona, A reading of the parent note should be specifically informative as to what is being asked.

If people don't like this on-topic thread for some reason, then it should just be deleted rather than relocating it and cluttering up some other thread(s) where it will be extraneous and ignored.

And, given some of the postings here (not yours, Rona),... people wonder why folks (not me!!!) are leaving MF!?!
. . . . and victuals and the companionship accruing thereto" . . . .

#25 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,277 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:49 AM

No worries. I know when I'm being bad.

You might want to add a subtitle next time. It would make your subject even clearer from the outset, so there's less chance of riff raff (not zero chance, just less chance).

#26 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:36 AM

No worries. I know when I'm being bad.

Rona, I don't have time to read back through the thread but I didn't detect you being "bad". You are fine.
. . . . and victuals and the companionship accruing thereto" . . . .

#27 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,512 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:38 AM

Title of this thread: Cameron Cooktop Smoker Based on titles, how is this thread any less of a catch-all thread than the other one?

Rona, A reading of the parent note should be specifically informative as to what is being asked.

If people don't like this on-topic thread for some reason, then it should just be deleted rather than relocating it and cluttering up some other thread(s) where it will be extraneous and ignored.

And, given some of the postings here (not yours, Rona),... people wonder why folks (not me!!!) are leaving MF!?!

This is a great site, full of diverse personalities. Almost every topic has some 'thread drift' or people firing smart remarks at each other. If that doesn't work for you, maybe you should post on an uber-serious site--like eGullet or OA (or whatever may meet your criteria). Or, perhaps you should take the words of Sgt. Hulka to heart

#28 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,910 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:39 PM

I do I do!!

They aren't that air-tight. They will let most of the smoke out as you cook. So I'm not sure you get much out of opening the smoker up outside. Its only a tablespoon of sawdust in them. Granted our apartment has pretty god ventilation, so its not that bad - I'd say it smells smoky in here for a day or tow?

You don't replenish the chips really. I would think its really easy to end up with something very acrid in the cameron if you doubled down on the chips.
Why not mayo?

#29 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,753 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:01 AM

I just used close to 2 tablespoons (? one standard coffee scoop) of bourbon-infused oak for a single duck magret (12 minutes) and a couple of sliced sweet potatoes (and additional 20 minutes). Not all the chips burned in that total time (just under 35 minutes). Won't know how everything tastes for a couple of days, since we're not eating the result until Sunday at the earliest. And Paul is not home yet, so I haven't yet had to listen to him bitch about the smoke in the place. But I still have all fans going full-blast.

I don't want to seem obsessed with this, but . . . -- Sneakeater, August 13, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#30 Blondie

Blondie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:17 AM

I just used close to 2 tablespoons (? one standard coffee scoop) of bourbon-infused oak for a single duck magret (12 minutes) and a couple of sliced sweet potatoes (and additional 20 minutes). Not all the chips burned in that total time (just under 35 minutes). Won't know how everything tastes for a couple of days, since we're not eating the result until Sunday at the earliest. And Paul is not home yet, so I haven't yet had to listen to him bitch about the smoke in the place. But I still have all fans going full-blast.

Thank you, Suzanne and AB. I have little ventilation and no fans, so I think I'll try the portable burner on the balcony method, if I can ever remember to buy a burner.
BlondieNY.com