44 replies to this topic

#31 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:46 AM

I just used close to 2 tablespoons (? one standard coffee scoop) of bourbon-infused oak for a single duck magret (12 minutes) and a couple of sliced sweet potatoes (and additional 20 minutes). Not all the chips burned in that total time (just under 35 minutes).

Suzanne, An excellent data point which we are noting.

Thanks!
. . . . and victuals and the companionship accruing thereto" . . . .

#32 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,937 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:32 AM

Blondie: I can't really smell it now, but that's because I'm in the middle of it. No doubt Paul the Nose will, as soon as he walks in the door! :lol: (But of course he always forgives me once he tastes the result!)

If you can use it outside, so much the better. Just watch out the FDNY coming around (although most of them are pretty damn cute ;) ). We had a neighbor in our building who called them when someone was venting a dryer out the window, and mistook the steam for smoke. :rolleyes:

Peter: Part of the lack of combustion could also have been because my stove sucks is on its last legs and the burners don't work as they should. Then again, I've had less-than-complete combustion with larger amounts of chips other times, too. [And a personal note: PM me if you're interested in possibly bidding on an auction item for an event in Houston, via IACP's current silent auction. I don't have the info in front of me, but it looked neat! The $$ go to The Culinary Trust, which does things like restore ancient cookbooks and other culinary stuff.]

ETA: Paul didn't even realize I'd smoked anything. :P I guess having all the fans running worked this time.

Edited by Suzanne F, 17 March 2012 - 02:13 PM.

I try never to dine with other people. It just makes things so much easier. -- Anthony Bonner, March 28, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#33 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:43 PM

if you're interested in possibly bidding on an auction item for an event in Houston, via IACP's current silent auction.

Suzanne, I might like to see the auction list.

#34 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,937 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:27 PM

I started a new thread about the auction; find it here.

As of a moment ago, a dinner at Rao's, valued at $200, has a leading bid of $600. :lol: But no one has bid on a package that includes dinner at Roberta's.

I try never to dine with other people. It just makes things so much easier. -- Anthony Bonner, March 28, 2014

#35 Blondie

Blondie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:56 PM

Blondie: I can't really smell it now, but that's because I'm in the middle of it. No doubt Paul the Nose will, as soon as he walks in the door! :lol: (But of course he always forgives me once he tastes the result!)

If you can use it outside, so much the better. Just watch out the FDNY coming around (although most of them are pretty damn cute ;) ). We had a neighbor in our building who called them when someone was venting a dryer out the window, and mistook the steam for smoke. :rolleyes:

ETA: Paul didn't even realize I'd smoked anything. :P I guess having all the fans running worked this time.

Ha! Glad you got away with it this time :)

I think I'll be fine on the balcony, but wouldn't mind a visit from NY's Cutest. I may be imagining this, but I have insanely high ceilings and cooking odors seem to linger longer than in my last place with lower ceilings.

My new next door neighbor has a big-ass gas grill on a very small balcony with a number of tinder-dry shrubs, so I'm sure the FDNY will be making a visit to them this summer.
BlondieNY.com

#36 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:03 PM

Providing another data point, we did baby back pork ribs with oak last night.

The smoker did perfectly during the 30-minute cook. Excellent smoky flavor with the ribs being brought to just the right temperature.

No need to replenish or otherwise tamper with the wood in the smoker during the 30-minute cook.

#37 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,937 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:28 AM

The report on the smoked duck magret and sliced sweet potatoes: SENSATIONAL!!!!

I first heated the potato slices in the cast-iron grill pan until they were nicely marked (just one direction on each side), then set them aside on the hot tray to keep warm while I "grilled" the magret. Didn't time it, but it was maybe 5 minutes per turn (one side, then 90-degree turn; flip and repeat) and it came out perfect: very rare in the middle the way Paul likes it, and slightly more cooked out to the ends, but never more than medium.

I froze the brine (Assam tea, maple syrup, pickled ginger and its liquid, fish sauce, soy sauce) so I might be able to come close again. I hope so--this was one of the best smoked items I've made. :D

#38 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:25 PM

Another very successful dinner.

Quail smoked for ~21 minutes with 1 1/2 tbs of pecan was superb...along with cornbread dressing and green peas. And, oh yeah, also with Ch Calon Segur '96.

#39 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:24 PM

I got the Cameron Cooktop Smoker largely just on a whim.

I am amazed how much we have been using it.

Quail, pork ribs, chicken breasts, salmon, hamburger meat, and others I can't think of right now. Last night mountain trout with alder chips.

Probably 2 or 3 times a week with no disappointments thus far.

#40 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,937 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:19 PM

:)

If I had better ventilation, I'd use it all the time, too, not just when I can have many windows open. It's a great little tool.

#41 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,168 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:22 PM

you know, too much smoked meat will cause cancer. that's why mile end limits the amount of smoked meat they make available to the public

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#42 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,937 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:25 PM

you know, too much smoked meat will cause cancer. that's why mile end limits the amount of smoked meat they make available to the public

So that's why?!?!?

NY Times today says that Mile End Sandwich is open. Will the owners die of cancer?

#43 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:41 PM

Suzanne, Have you ever seen any reliable data on how much smoke might cause a cancer risk?

#44 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,937 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:40 AM

Suzanne, Have you ever seen any reliable data on how much smoke might cause a cancer risk?

That wasn't my joke. That was splinky's joke.

#45 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,168 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:09 AM

That wasn't my joke. That was splinky's joke.

thisis hilarious

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*