jmoranmoya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:52 PM

Frej
Kinfolk Studio
Frej is currently open for reservations only.

Monday-Wednesday
6pm-10pm

To reserve a table:
info@frejnyc.com

Tel. (347) 286-6241
90 Wythe Avenue at North 11th Street
Williamsburg, Brooklyn
http://www.frejnyc.com/

Last night we had probably the best dining experience in NY in the last year. We felt that we were back in Copenhagen.

Frej is a pop up restaurant lead by Fredrik Berselius and Richard Kuo ex WD 50 and Corton - I believe. They are cooking New Nordic cuisine / Scandinavian.
For $45, you get a 5-course tasting with an amuse bouche and some surprises in the middle.
It is nor surprising to have good dinners in Williamsburg anymore, but this one was significantly above any expectation.

I can write for ages about this place, but I need to go back to work...You need to try this to understand what I'm talking about.
Pictures coming soon.

#2 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69,215 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:03 PM

I heard from Frej after my Masten Lake review. Together with Isa and Gwynett St, the place is waving the flag for serious cooking in Williamsburg.

#3 jmoranmoya

jmoranmoya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:21 PM

I heard from Frej after my Masten Lake review. Together with Isa and Gwynett St, the place is waving the flag for serious cooking in Williamsburg.

And don't forget Allswell

#4 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 40,943 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:25 PM

Just looking at the menu -- since as you know, I couldn't get in -- is Allswell really one of the "new" more "adult" Williamsburg restaurants, or is it more like the old American bistro (Walter Food) kind done extremely well?

(That's a genuine question, not an argument.)
Bar Loser

MF Old

#5 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,265 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:08 PM

I've heard that one of the other places you mention is waving a white flag and may soon be doing something less ambitious, but I'm hoping they manage to stay afloat.
I never said that

#6 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69,215 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:10 PM

Just to clarify, the restaurants I mentioned have been explicitly acting together to get the word out (cross referencing in each others' tweets for example). Allswell has not been involved in that, but may well be in the same category as far as serious dining is concerned.

#7 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,707 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:17 PM

I haven't been to Allswell, but the proffer doesn't seem to be anything truly new; but rather, a very good rendition of a genre we've seen before, in a new location. Of course, anything very good should be celebrated, but it's not in the same category as what Frej appears to be.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#8 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69,215 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:22 PM

Neither is Gwynett St, but I believe several Williamsburg restaurants have identified a commonality of purpose, especially since a warm critical reception is not translating automatically into full bookings (Frej may be different, as it's only open twice a week; I don't know).

#9 jmoranmoya

jmoranmoya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:51 PM

Neither is Gwynett St, but I believe several Williamsburg restaurants have identified a commonality of purpose, especially since a warm critical reception is not translating automatically into full bookings (Frej may be different, as it's only open twice a week; I don't know).

Frej was not full either last night, but I'm sure it will be packed soon, they have been opened only for a few weeks...

#10 jmoranmoya

jmoranmoya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:16 AM

Some food pictures of this incredible place:

#11 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,265 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:18 AM

Nice. I know I can call and ask but do they have a license, or it it byo?
I never said that

#12 jmoranmoya

jmoranmoya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:20 AM

They have license and the cocktails from Kinfolk studio are great!

#13 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:19 PM

I asked them about wine in an email and they said that they have a full bar and corkage is $25. I'm not sure if that means that they have a wine list or not, I'm going to byo next week.

#14 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,836 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:33 PM

I asked them about wine in an email and they said that they have a full bar and corkage is $25. I'm not sure if they have a wine list or not, I'm going to byo next week.

what day are you going? We are going Wednesday
Why not mayo?

#15 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:34 PM

tuesday.