Why not mayo?

#167 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:31 PM

do you or Orik want to talk about the food?

#168 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,033 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:33 PM

the food seems to be not the point. four people (I think) who post on the site have been, and the praise was pretty unanimous. We also were all pretty much served the same menu as best I can tell.
Why not mayo?

#169 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,155 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:35 PM

The food is not the point because the rest of us are going to have a very hard time ever eating here.

(I am not complaining.)
Bar Loser

MF Old

#170 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70,012 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:35 PM

I am sure Sneak and I will join the chorus, if we can get in.

#171 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,033 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:37 PM

Speaking of other places - I tried Atera on open table and was told "try may" - and that's even a "real restaurant"
Why not mayo?

#172 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70,012 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:48 PM

Nonsense. It has no tables. :cool:

#173 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,428 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:43 PM

do you or Orik want to talk about the food?

more than one Russ & Daughters sandwich in there.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#174 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:46 PM

. . . the cost of taking reservations is quite low. (ignoring the argument that a no reservation policy for a hot restaurant is probably revenue maximizing - eventually restaurants aren't hot).

That point you've ignored is a rather substantial one. The cost of the reservation mechanism is low. But if a place can fill up without taking them, it is considerably more efficient. For one thing, the no-show rate across the industry is rather high. And on top of that, if the restaurant is honest, it needs to leave a buffer to account for the uncertainty in how long each party will keep the table.

There are many formerly no-reservation places that eventually took them, once the heat wore off. On the other hand, a place like Ssäm is still cruising along with no end (to its hotness) in sight.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#175 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,033 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:07 AM

. . . the cost of taking reservations is quite low. (ignoring the argument that a no reservation policy for a hot restaurant is probably revenue maximizing - eventually restaurants aren't hot).

That point you've ignored is a rather substantial one. The cost of the reservation mechanism is low. But if a place can fill up without taking them, it is considerably more efficient. For one thing, the no-show rate across the industry is rather high. And on top of that, if the restaurant is honest, it needs to leave a buffer to account for the uncertainty in how long each party will keep the table.

There are many formerly no-reservation places that eventually took them, once the heat wore off. On the other hand, a place like Ssäm is still cruising along with no end (to its hotness) in sight.

yes I know that, I was just trying to simplify the argument. My point was that not taking reservations is not a cost issue, so its fair for someone to criticize a place for that choice, even if it is also the correct revenue optimizing choice for a hot restaurant. Its not fair to criticize decisions that are driven by a desire to keep capital costs low under the rubric of "real restaurant"-ness

Like we totally agree.
Why not mayo?

#176 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,774 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:04 PM

They're booked until early June - impressive.

#177 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70,012 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:49 PM

Also annoying, because I was discussing a reservation in May until they dropped the ball. I am a little less well-disposed towards them than previously.

#178 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70,012 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:23 PM

The current discussion about Brooklyn Fare (I so want to call it "Fayre") reminds me that Jay Cheshes was willing to boldly describe Frej as a "half-a-week pop-up restaurant," a "public try-out of sorts," and suggest that it will mature out of the "pop-up setting."

He doesn't even try to pretend it's a conventional restaurant.

#179 Jesikka

Jesikka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:39 AM

Going tomorrow. Will report.

#180 Jesikka

Jesikka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:13 PM

Fantastic meal last night- I couldn't be more excited about both this food and seeing these two (really four) chefs succeed. They are clearly running on a shoestring- all four people who work there are able to do everything from plating to serving, including dishwashing (no dishwasher). The kitchen is tiny. The bar is owned by the space. It's too bad they can't/ don't serve there, because that would give them a lot more seats (not that this kitchen can handle more seats).

I thought the meal was really wonderful. The food has a lot of acid and complex elements. My friend commented that she "couldn't eat these dishes every night." I could, happily. It was nice to eat a tasting menu that is appropriately portioned- I didn't feel stuffed or terrible afterwards. Stand out dishes were the scallop, the pike (perfectly cooked and also not overused), and the camomile dessert. I'm weird about pork belly, but others would probably be huge fans. I loved the beef and parsnip as well, but it felt like a dish you could get at a lot of places- though it would be plated differently. No misses. The amuse was a fried fish skin with something similar to tzatiki, which was awesome.

The menu, as you likely already know:

Scallop- cabbage, ramp, seaweed
Winkle- skyr, oyster, kohlrabi
Pike-sprat, potato, wild spinach (extra course)
Pork belly- don't remember but someone here probably does
Beef- parsnip, wild garlic, onion, cress
Camomille parfait-carrot, sea buckthorn