5 replies to this topic

#1 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,277 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:42 PM

Colour me skeptical. I wonder if they account for the difference between artisanal smoked meat and factory pastrami?

Edit: Corrected per AB.

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#2 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,360 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:44 PM

wrong link there Esq. unless you plan on going in house at SAC and getting Bobby Van's delivered for lunch every day.
Why not mayo?

#3 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,064 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:54 PM

It's mostly about dramatic presentation of data.

If you eat a 16 oz steak every day, your probability of getting a heart attack over the next decade goes up from 1.3% to 1.5% (using my own numbers)

Doesn't sound that impressive anymore, especially when you discount it for the difficulty in separating variables.
I never said that

#4 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,903 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:19 PM

It's mostly about dramatic presentation of data.

If you eat a 16 oz steak every day, your probability of getting a heart attack over the next decade goes up from 1.3% to 1.5% (using my own numbers)

Doesn't sound that impressive anymore, especially when you discount it for the difficulty in separating variables.

Eating a 16 oz steak every day could slow you down, too. Dodging traffic may be a greater health risk for many folks in urban areas, than coronary risks.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#5 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,064 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:29 PM

Exactly. What I think this study suggests is that you should avoid steak when DST goes into effect, but eat as much of it as you want on the day the clock is turned back.

An expert at the

University of Alabama

says that the Monday and Tuesday after moving the clocks head one hour in March is associated with a 10 percent increase in the risk of having a heart attack.

University of Alabama Associate Professor Martin Young, PhD., recently pointed out the phenomenon. "The opposite is true when falling back in October," Young said. "This risk decreases by about 10 percent."

http://www.golocalpr...-heart-attacks/
I never said that

#6 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,903 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:40 PM

Exactly. What I think this study suggests is that you should avoid steak when DST goes into effect, but eat as much of it as you want on the day the clock is turned back.

An expert at the

University of Alabama

says that the Monday and Tuesday after moving the clocks head one hour in March is associated with a 10 percent increase in the risk of having a heart attack.

University of Alabama Associate Professor Martin Young, PhD., recently pointed out the phenomenon. "The opposite is true when falling back in October," Young said. "This risk decreases by about 10 percent."

http://www.golocalpr...-heart-attacks/

He had a PhD, so he obviously knows what he's talking about.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman