17 replies to this topic

#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,035 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:28 PM

Eater has a follow up article concerning Franklin BBQ. A year ago, critic Andrew Knowlton from Bon Appetit anointed this restaurant the best in the US.

Two hours seems to be the wait time, maybe a bit less on Tuesday and Wednesday.

900 East 11th Street Austin, Texas 78702
(512) 653-1187

There is a way to order food in advance, right?
With at least two days advance notice, if you order at least five pounds of meat no sandwiches or anything like that you can pick your food up without waiting line, like if you work in an office or something. You can get like a whole brisket or one pound of each meat and so forth.

How much does that tend to be?
Oh, maybe like 75 bucks or something like that.

Not surprisingly, they don't have a problem with people cutting into line or jumping the line. It's amazing how much more civilized life is in places where most folks are able to legally carry weapons.

Franklin

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#2 foodie52

foodie52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,340 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:47 PM

When Pat Sharpe at Texas Monthly declared it the best bbq in Texas, Texans sat up and took notice. He was operating out of a trailer at the time. Pat is in Les Dames d'Escoffier with me: when I asked her if it truly was the best she had ever eaten, she said it was.

I haven't been. I hate lines. But one of these days I'll have to break down and go. I'll report back. However, I can't imagine keeping up that kind of a standard if you are growing your business....I may have missed that window of opportunity to taste the best bbq in the world.
[size="4"]Visit our website for updates...Friends of Colombian Orphans

Donations are always gratefully accepted.

#3 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:59 AM

When Pat Sharpe at Texas Monthly declared it the best bbq in Texas, Texans sat up and took notice. He was operating out of a trailer at the time. Pat is in Les Dames d'Escoffier with me: when I asked her if it truly was the best she had ever eaten, she said it was.

I haven't been. I hate lines. But one of these days I'll have to break down and go. I'll report back. However, I can't imagine keeping up that kind of a standard if you are growing your business....I may have missed that window of opportunity to taste the best bbq in the world.

I'll let you know. Ginny and I are waiting on line for lunch next Wed, hopefully with a longtime MF member who now lives in Austin.

This space available… contact owner.

#4 foodie52

foodie52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,340 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:34 AM

Send me a text and I'll meet you. I pm'ed you.

Also, if you're here a couple of days and want a porch set, come on over one night.

#5 Steven Dilley

Steven Dilley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:22 PM

Her piece might have added to the lines, but, trust me, they were already plenty long before any official press hit.

Not only is the brisket the best I've had, but what makes Franklin remarkable is its consistency. You haven't missed any window of opportunity. It's always good. They basically have the same hours now as they did at the trailer... at the trailer they'd run out of meat by 1:00 or so and now it's 2:00 or so. They initially added a new Franklin-built pit at the new location, only he wasn't happy with the results, so they ditched it. There is some variability with the pork ribs, which are as good as I've had, and he's mentioned that they tend to be the toughest thing to consistently nail.

Consistency is key, right? All the places in Lockhart, Taylor, etc. can put out great 'cue. But they can also put out garbage. Sometimes I'll get in line two, three times at these places before getting something worthwhile. (Brisket, that is. Sausage is obviously pretty consistent.)

Had some brisket and ribs from Franklin yesterday. I didn't wait in line, thankfully, but with SXSW... it was a 3 1/2 hr wait.
Say what you will about the ten commandments, you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them.

--H.L.Mencken

Sissies and wastoids

#6 joiei

joiei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:48 PM

I will be down in mid-April and my niece's husband is taking the day off to take me to Franklins. I did introduce him to Louie Mueller's and when they were up here last week I took them to Burn Co here in Tulsa.

Sort of off topic, this last weekend I was one of the judges at the Sam's Club BBQ Challenge in Westworth Village. Most of the teams were from Texas and most of the entries at our table were only average. I wasn't impressed with the competition bbq coming out of Texas.
"Love ya once, love ya twice, love ya more than beans and rice"

#7 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,424 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:09 PM

Her piece might have added to the lines, but, trust me, they were already plenty long before any official press hit.

Not only is the brisket the best I've had, but what makes Franklin remarkable is its consistency. You haven't missed any window of opportunity. It's always good. They basically have the same hours now as they did at the trailer... at the trailer they'd run out of meat by 1:00 or so and now it's 2:00 or so. They initially added a new Franklin-built pit at the new location, only he wasn't happy with the results, so they ditched it. There is some variability with the pork ribs, which are as good as I've had, and he's mentioned that they tend to be the toughest thing to consistently nail.

Consistency is key, right? All the places in Lockhart, Taylor, etc. can put out great 'cue. But they can also put out garbage. Sometimes I'll get in line two, three times at these places before getting something worthwhile. (Brisket, that is. Sausage is obviously pretty consistent.)

Had some brisket and ribs from Franklin yesterday. I didn't wait in line, thankfully, but with SXSW... it was a 3 1/2 hr wait.

I really need to make it to Franklin before I leave the area. Finally made it to Cooper's this past weekend...very good brisket, good beef ribs, ok sausage. agree with your coments on consistency....though I think Louie Mueller's is hands-down the best of those places over time...sausages are always the best and if you ask for it...the brisket is almost always great. beef ribs at Kreuz are generally best and I'm partial to the weekend pit ham as well.
Blatantly Obvious Disclaimer:

My opinions are obviously my personal opinions. Not yours. Not universal.

#8 foodie52

foodie52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,340 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:35 PM

Meeting some mf'ers (gosh, that sounds rude!) tomorrow morning at 10:00 for the Franklin Experience.

#9 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:43 PM

I just realized that I never posted about lunch at Franklin w/foodie52 & Steven Dilley. So.... it was great. Too much food (of course) but the brisket was very very good (although Steven said that he's had it even better) and, surprise, the ribs were some of the best I've ever had. Really. The pulled pork was above average and I liked the potato salad and the white bread (semi-joking here) but not the cole slaw. The waiter lived in Bed-Stuy and just moved back to Austin, the folks on line ahead of us go to Pratt and are from Austin and the whole thing looked like Williamsburg South but with much better food (sorry Fette Sau (which i like)). It was great seeing foodie52 and Steven again. Franklin's a winner.

This space available… contact owner.

#10 foodie52

foodie52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,340 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:23 PM

It WAS fun! Even the standing in line part. I'd do it again. And I agree that the ribs were outstanding. Next time though, you'll have to stay longer and we'll throw you a porch party.

#11 foodie52

foodie52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,340 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:34 PM

Bourdain likes it

#12 foodie52

foodie52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,340 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:49 PM

Zimmern weighs in on the Austin food scene.
Eater

#13 foodie52

foodie52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,340 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:50 AM

I don't know what @Meatopia is , but Aaron Franklin was just named Grand Champion in NY.

Twitter

#14 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,111 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:15 PM

So I asked my cab driver to drive by Franklin on the way to my hotel to see how long the line was. It was around 11:45 am. and the cab driver was shocked the line was so short. I had my brisket, ribs, sausage, baked beans, potato salad, root beer and 2 t-shirts by 12:30PM. 

The beans were fine and the potato salad was very good. The sausage was very tasty but I found the casing to be too tough. Difficult to get thru with a plastic knife and the juice from inside would squirt at least a foot when I took a bite without cutting.

The ribs were really good if not just a tad overcooked as a few pieces came off the bone too easily. But very moist and flavorful.

Now the brisket. This was simply awesome. Amazing that it could be sliced in medium size pieces and stay together yet almost melt in your mouth. Supposedly they only season with salt and pepper. To get that flavor and consistency without anything more is really something.

Usually expectations are so high when coming to a place like this that it is hard to be satisfied. Not the case here.

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#15 robert40

robert40

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:46 PM

Talk about high expectations. This past July I went on a family road trip to Austin solely to visit Franklins. (With a pit stop in Chicago) Got there at 6.15am and still was third in line. 4000 miles later, I think it was worth it.

http://www.flickr.co...N00/9390867936/