Big Freedia

#2 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,479 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:04 PM

“We have very different value propositions,” Mr. Cauz said. “Britannica is going to be smaller. We cannot deal with every single cartoon character, we cannot deal with every love life of every celebrity. But we need to have an alternative where facts really matter. Britannica won’t be able to be as large, but it will always be factually correct.”

Ultimately, says Mr. Cauz, we will have no entries at all, but all of our entries will be correct.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#3 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70,279 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:24 PM

You can see why people resort to Wikipedia instead:

Government refers to the legislators, administrators, and arbitrators in the administrative bureaucracy who control a state at a given time, and to the system of government by which they are organized.[1][2] Government is the means by which state policy is enforced, as well as the mechanism for determining the policy of the state. A form of government, or form of state governance, refers to the set of political institutions by which a government of a state is organized. Synonyms include "regime type" and "system of government".

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Government

government, the political system by which a country or community is administered and regulated.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/240105/government

#4 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70,279 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:27 PM

Just that last sentence, "Synonynms include..." - just utter trash.

#5 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,479 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:44 PM

Government refers to the system of government, which is a synonym of government. Posted Image

Classy.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#6 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,429 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:53 PM

"the britannica" was an aspirational item for us when we were kids. we never did "make it" enough to afford a set. we had a used set of the world book from my cousin and a 1940 edition of the book of knowledge from my father's sister. i only recently learned that alaska and hawaii joined the union.

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#7 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,039 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:20 PM

I hope they make the website less annoying to use. (Yeah, right. <_< )

the people who flock to dine at the restaurant on account of its reputation/stars are getting their money's worth because what they are after is a piece of the reputation/stars and nothing else. their money is not wasted. -- mongo jones, 11/5/2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#8 memesuze

memesuze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:35 PM

While recently cleaning out my mother's house, I came across our copy of The Encyclopedia Britannia Junior. Blue bindings. About two shelf feet.
"When you think about it, all of my greatest work is poop tomorrow." - Mario Batali

Even if you live to be 100, life is short.