8 replies to this topic

#1 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,946 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

This has Jonah Hill, Channing Tatum and Ice Cube in it. Ice Cube has some fun with his role as the hardass Captain Dickson riding herd on Hill and Tatum. There's also a decent cameo by Johnny Depp. An actress named Brie Larson has the female lead which does not give her a lot to work with. This is funny, stupid, mindless stuff that's amusing for about two-thirds of the picture. Then it defaults to car chases, a shoot out and some dick jokes in the latter third. It's an entertaining rental.

I got that gin in my system
Somebody's gon' be my victim.

Big Freedia

#2 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,946 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:19 AM

I guess I should say that Peter DeLuise also has a cameo, but it's less impressive than Depp's. And the writers have fun with some of the TV show's conventions--going undercover, immediately creating havoc, etc.

Big Freedia

#3 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,171 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:48 AM

I guess I should say that Peter DeLuise also has a cameo, but it's less impressive than Depp's. And the writers have fun with some of the TV show's conventions--going undercover, immediately creating havoc, etc.

what about that diva holly robinson?

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#4 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,946 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:30 AM

Yes, she's in it calling herself Holly Robinson Peete, but it's not a big part.

Big Freedia

#5 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,001 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:25 PM

Doesn't Dustin Nguyen also have a teeny tiny cameo?

I read that Depp only agreed to do a cameo if DeLuise was given one, too. Awfully nice of him, I thought.

#6 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,946 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:31 PM

Doesn't Dustin Nguyen also have a teeny tiny cameo?

I read that Depp only agreed to do a cameo if DeLuise was given one, too. Awfully nice of him, I thought.

I wasn't looking for him and it's not credited, but there's certainly room for something tiny.

Big Freedia

#7 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66,682 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:01 PM

Brie Larson was in that comedy about the woman with multiple personalities played by that Australian actress.

#8 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,946 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:40 PM

For what it's worth, the $35 million the film made this weekend in the US is "the best debut ever for a nonsequel, nonsummer R-rated comedy." OK, if you say so.

Big Freedia

#9 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,946 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:34 PM

It has decent music by Mark (DEVO) Mothersbaugh. If you can't get Elfman, you seem to get Mothersbaugh these days.

Big Freedia