No replies to this topic

#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,098 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:54 PM

The current issue of Food & Wine magazine has a feature on top sommeliers in the US. Several highly regarded wine experts from different regions of the US are anointed as "top sommeliers of 2012".

The winner for Texas is Vanessa Trevino Boyd, a mouthfuls member. Congratulations!

The wine list offers several sparkling wines by the glass, prices from $8. Many reds and whites from $8, by the glass.

Why She Won Her expertly curated list of French and Californian wines offers value at every price.

“I want everyone to drink Champagne! We keep the prices low to give people a chance to have it. I could drink Champagne on its own at any point of the day—brunch, after work—as long as it’s lively, pretty and balanced.”

Philippe-Perfect Wines “I look for wines with bright acidity. Our richer dishes do well with wines that have a bit of spice, especially from the Rhône, like Domaine de Monpertuis’s 2009 Châteauneuf-du-Pâpe ($95).”

Must-Have Wine “Every list I ever make will have red Burgundy from Chambolle-Musigny, like the 2008 JF Mugnier ($169). It’s my favorite village—elegant and feminine, and the fruit is so pure.”

Best Philippe Pairing Chef Philippe Schmit’s duck dish, My Darling Clementine, with Domaine Huet’s off-dry 2009 Clos du Bourg Vouvray ($52). “The wine is rich enough to stand up to the citrusy sauce.”

Philippe - 1800 Post Oak Blvd.; 713-439-1000

F&W article

Philippe website

Wine list

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman