10 replies to this topic

#1 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,406 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:57 PM

It seems to me the Times has got this completely upside down. Generally speaking, nobody insists that eating animals is right, any more than they insist that going on holiday or watching movies is right. The question is whether it is ethically permissible. And there are so many competing reasons for not eating animals, one doesn't really know where to start when the question is posed so unrestrictedly.

#2 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,069 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:06 PM

This is right up there with "Is having children right?" and "Can atheists be ethical?"
I never said that

#3 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,557 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:11 PM

I want to eat Mark Bittman. I'm sure after he ran around Spain with Batali feasting on ham and pork that he's delicious.

“I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.”

"One of the Evil Twin beers I tried smelled like a foot." - LiquidNY

"I don't have time to point out all the ways in which you're wrong" - irnscrabblechf52

#4 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,599 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:21 PM

I want to eat Mark Bittman. I'm sure after he ran around Spain with Batali feasting on ham and pork that he's delicious.

but to be absolutely sure of his deliciousness, you should pen him and feed him acorns for a few weeks before slaughter. i do not think a free range bittman would be as tender

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#5 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:27 PM

As long as you don't over cook them.. I am all for it.
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#6 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,069 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:29 PM

He turned vegan after seeing Batali naked.
I never said that

#7 TaliesinNYC

TaliesinNYC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,084 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:25 PM

There's a lot to be said for hot Italian bearmeat. ;)

#8 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:29 PM

I think if you watch Mark Bittman dancing in the beginning of his television show, it may change your mind as well.
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#9 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,557 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:30 PM

Google - batali+naked:

Posted Image

“I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.”

"One of the Evil Twin beers I tried smelled like a foot." - LiquidNY

"I don't have time to point out all the ways in which you're wrong" - irnscrabblechf52

#10 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:57 PM

Google - batali+naked:

Posted Image

Something tells me it would be rather more repulsive.

#11 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,415 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:46 PM

No, no, no: he's only vegan up until 6:00 PM. Or at least that was his schtick a while ago. And I'm sure that on that trip through Spain the guys were more likely to try seeing Claudia Bassols naked than each other. Or Goop. :huh:

Anyway: is eating animals right? No, it covers the entire spectrum from right to left through centrist. Next question.

ETA: GG--at least that's not a Lucien Freud painting.

Because it's allowed doesn't mean it isn't creepy. -- Sneakeater, April 10, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table