369 replies to this topic

#16 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,041 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:15 PM

A couple of years ago, I loved, loved, loved the crab at Pesce, on Avenue P, near DuPont Circle.

#17 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,668 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:32 AM

A couple of years ago, I loved, loved, loved the crab at Pesce, on Avenue P, near DuPont Circle.

Pesce, which is still right there (and right across the street from a Le Pain Quotidien, where you can buy a nice loaf of bread), is, of course, the love-child of the late, great chef Jean-Louis Palladin, and Roberto Donna, who at one time was the whiz-kid of Italian food in DC...until he ran into some "troubles." It is still owned and run by Jean-Louis' widow, the super nice Regine. Nicely cooked and tasty seafood to be had - just don't go expecting a knock-your-socks off meal, or a joint that's jumping. They also do a nice happy hour, with inexpensive bar food and a couple of wines at 1/2 price or $5 a glass.

Another place that tends to be off the radar, yet it's on "the Hill," is Johnny's Half Shell, opened and owned in part by Ann Cashion, whose first restaurant Cashion's, in Adams Morgan (right down the block from the aforementioned Mintwood Place), still knocks it out of the park on occasion. We've only been for, once again, happy hour, when they do some excellent, inexpensive bar food. Expect staffers and the like.

Cashion's, no longer owned by Ms. Cashion, is still one of the top 2 or 3 restaurants in Adams Morgan.

Marta, My Dear

Follow My Blog:  Tasty Travails

#18 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,727 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:12 PM

Can't get a good pie joethefoodie? I have to disagree. Maybe you don't like the kickball kids (hey Nathan, are you going to join a kickball league?) at 2 Amys, you don't like the too bright lights, the condo walls. Maybe you don't like the wait. Perhaps you don't like going out to Glover Park. Maybe you're spoiled by all the great ones in nyc. Maybe this, maybe that. But the pie? Quite good. Neapolitan, but not so soupy in the middle, so maybe inauthentic. So what? It's good! Very good. Which ones? The margherita yes, but also a (slightly too salty) white pie with asparagus and nettles and pecarino and pancetta. And the real food is pretty good as well - pickled sardines with only slightly salted olives, grilled eggplant with ramp and pine nuts, soft shell crab with pickled peppers and mayo. Like a more Italian Franny's. This is good food and good pizza washed down nicely with one of those plonky effervescent reds. Don't tell me otherwise.

And some drinking? Maybe a pint at Martin's Tavern with the Brooks Brothers crowd. Oh, and a nightcap at The Gibson - the house brown drinks are good, a gin-aperol one was made better by citrus oils from a flamed peel when I told the waiter it needed a touch of acid for balance, and the vieux-carre was watery. Still, a winner. Just why keep the front window shuttered? And play pretend with the reservation thing (there were two open seats, we walked in, it was Tuesday)? Even Sam and Sasha are bored of that schtick, on to the next one guys. Nonetheless, you're doing pretty well.

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#19 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,727 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:35 PM

See, I told you it was like a liveblog - we're minutes (minutes!) out of a lunch at Jose Andres's Oyamel. Maybe this is like long form twitter. Or just posting on a message board. Who knows? It's the future. Should you go here? Shockingly yes. Discard the kind of musty fish in the ceviche and the okay tacos - quite good pork, meh beef tongue - and the other stuff was good, verging on excellent. Especially the cooked salsa made with tomatoes and chipotles, but also the tamale with braised chicken and salsa verde and shrimp with black garlic. The dessert with dark chocolate, cinnamon, and passion fruit is, of all things, refreshing. And yet the crowd is young DC business and it looks like an upscale Dos Caminos - the bill even says "upscale casual"! It really should suck, it doesn't. It might suck if you've just spent two weeks in Mexico but, if you're not posting on the Mexico board, you haven't and you're here and you could do much worse than this.

#20 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,510 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:52 PM

ah, I haven't had good luck with Jose Andres' places yet but am willing to give it a go.
no kickball here, my athletic pursuits tend to be a bit more hardcore.

thanks everyone for the suggestions...looking forward to it...I was in DC briefly last week apt hunting (pretty sure I'm going to live around the Hill or Eastern Market due to my work commute)...but didn't have time for much in the way of food. Had an awful Vietnamese meal in Cleveland Park and a decent steak at Capitol Grill...definitely need to check out The Gibson. I've been to PX in Old Town and it was pretty decent...
Blatantly Obvious Disclaimer:

My opinions are obviously my personal opinions. Not yours. Not universal.

#21 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,727 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:03 PM

ah, I haven't had good luck with Jose Andres' places yet but am willing to give it a go.

You, sir, have no idea what you're getting into with this place, do you? Failure to join a kickball league means that you will not be invited to (1) intern parties in Mount Pleasant and (2) happy hours at Rumours, while you will have difficulty finding roommates for your (3) group home in Dupont Circle. You may still yet make the guest list at Smith Point, however. You, Nathan, could be making a huge career/life mistake by failing to join a kickball team.*

Suggestions and updates aren't over yet. Keep following and you will be rewarded...

*(Me, remembering why you don't want to be 23 and living in DC)

#22 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,510 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:05 PM

You, sir, have no idea what you're getting into with this place, do you? Failure to join a kickball league means that you will not be invited to (1) intern parties in Mount Pleasant and (2) happy hours at Rumours, while you will have difficulty finding roommates for your (3) group home in Dupont Circle. You may still yet make the guest list at Smith Point, however. You, Nathan, could be making a huge career/life mistake by failing to join a kickball team.*

Suggestions and updates aren't over yet. Keep following and you will be rewarded...

ok, I'm sold. I'll join a kickball team! (it seems so....well, Brooklyn though)
Blatantly Obvious Disclaimer:

My opinions are obviously my personal opinions. Not yours. Not universal.

#23 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,727 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:11 PM

ok, I'm sold. I'll join a kickball team! (it seems so....well, Brooklyn though)

Oh it's different - if they wanted to be in Brooklyn they wouldn't be in DC...

(my god sir, do not join a kickball team - you're a grown man)

#24 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,668 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:14 PM

Can't get a good pie joethefoodie? I have to disagree. Maybe you don't like the kickball kids (hey Nathan, are you going to join a kickball league?) at 2 Amys, you don't like the too bright lights, the condo walls. Maybe you don't like the wait. Perhaps you don't like going out to Glover Park. Maybe you're spoiled by all the great ones in nyc. Maybe this, maybe that. But the pie? Quite good. Neapolitan, but not so soupy in the middle, so maybe inauthentic. So what? It's good! Very good. Which ones? The margherita yes, but also a (slightly too salty) white pie with asparagus and nettles and pecarino and pancetta. And the real food is pretty good as well - pickled sardines with only slightly salted olives, grilled eggplant with ramp and pine nuts, soft shell crab with pickled peppers and mayo. Like a more Italian Franny's. This is good food and good pizza washed down nicely with one of those plonky effervescent reds. Don't tell me otherwise.

Well, of course you're going to say Two Amy's! And I will say that all of the points you mentioned (Glover Park!) are my reasons...that and I find a fair amount of inconsistency. But set that all aside, and you can put together a nice meal here...might even think you're at Franny's, what with all the kids.

I've had a few issues with Oyamel, as well as the other Jose joints, but on a good day...and when Isabella was in charge at Zaytinya, it was very good.

For my money, Landrum serves the best steaks in town. At the most reasonable prices. Of course, they're not in town, so...

You'll do much better with Vietnamese out in Falls Church, Nathan. Did you eat at Nam Viet out in Cleveland Park? In the district, Pho 14 is better, imo.

Eastern Market is fun, and the seafood joint inside makes a nice crab sandwich. There's a great gelato place close by, I have to look up the name.

Avoid Spike's pizza, but his burger is OK.

Marta, My Dear

Follow My Blog:  Tasty Travails

#25 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,234 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:34 PM

Single girls love kickball, dudes prefer softball.
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#26 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,156 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:57 PM

Kick ball? Adults play kick ball?
Bar Loser

MF Old

#27 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,156 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:59 PM

Find me a Brownies & Fairies league and I'm fucking THERE.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#28 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,202 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:59 PM

Kick ball? Adults play kick ball?

You obviously haven't been to McCarren Park in some time.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#29 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,156 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:01 PM

Not since they stopped the shows in the Pool.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#30 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,727 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:02 PM

Depends on how you define adult.