Waitress, "let me check"
Five minutes later, "that's okay. Here are some drink menus"
It's one page: "can I see the whiskey book?"
Her, "we don't serve that up here"
Me, smiling "but we wanted to drink whiskey and sit outside!"
"let me see what I can do"
She brings the book.

I'm not surprised.

Downstairs, we sat in the "restaurant" area. Of course, we couldn't order anything from the bar menu or from the upstairs menu. So we ate our salad/other appetizer and then moved to the bar (which is, of course, right next to the restaurant), where you can order anything off of the bar menu or the restaurant menu, but not from upstairs. You need a degree to figure it all out, but after a few bourbons, who cares?!

Marta, My Dear

Follow My Blog:  Tasty Travails

#47 balex

balex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:28 AM

Thanks for the information, off there in a couple of days -- a few days in DC itself, a few at the University of Maryland CP, which is NE I think, and a couple of days on Chesapeake bay.

Any positive BBQ recommendations?

#48 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,596 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:38 PM

Thanks for the information, off there in a couple of days -- a few days in DC itself, a few at the University of Maryland CP, which is NE I think, and a couple of days on Chesapeake bay.

I can't recommend anything wholeheartedly. Others know more, and dr.com has a bunch of bbq threads.

Marta, My Dear

#49 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,954 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:11 PM

Unless you absolutely have to stay in College Park there is no reason why you can't stay based in DC and commute out. Its not really the most salubrious big University campus around and it is very close to the NE city line
Why not mayo?

#50 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,230 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:33 PM

My recollection is the College Park campus has a very comprehensive bus system from the metro and rail stations throughout the sprawling area.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#51 squibble

squibble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:09 PM

We like 'Rocklands':
http://www.rocklands.com/
Their pulled pork is good, although it's maybe a little greasy for me. Their sides are nice too.

I'd be curious to find other choices, especially in the Md. (NW) suburbs. We like 'Urban Barbecue'.

None of the choices we've tried match what came from this little shack out in Upper Marlboro area, which is quite a long drive, but the man retired. His baby back ribs were classic. I don't think there was even a name on that place. He was a snowbird and would leave in winter for Florida.

eta: It's been a while since we've had Rocklands. I am pretty sure they haven't changed . . .

#52 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,335 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:57 AM

I don't know where you live but I'd be surprised if the DC BBQ offerings are that much better than what you can get wherever you are. I haven't been to the DC hill country though. rocklands is ok at best, I've been eating at the glover park one since I was fifteen. the burger is good, but I wouldn't drive across town for it.

the UMD campus is a short bus ride away from the green line, so if you're willing to put up with the bus staying in DC is a good idea.

#53 balex

balex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:09 AM

I live in London which is fairly BBQ free --
I am locked into staying near the campus unfortunately.

#54 squibble

squibble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:50 PM

I don't know where you live but I'd be surprised if the DC BBQ offerings are that much better than what you can get wherever you are. I haven't been to the DC hill country though. rocklands is ok at best, I've been eating at the glover park one since I was fifteen. the burger is good, but I wouldn't drive across town for it.

the UMD campus is a short bus ride away from the green line, so if you're willing to put up with the bus staying in DC is a good idea.

Yes, I agree about Rocklands, the barbecue is just ok and I wouldn't go across town for it. The one in Glover Park was on my way home when I worked in Georgetown. I tend to think of Georgetown as a place visitors would have on their 'must-see' list, so that was why it came to mind. I live in the Md. suburbs on the NW side. We've tried Urban BBQ which is very near us. I like the pulled pork bbq a little more than Rocklands. I rarely eat out these days, but I would be more inclined to check out reviews on the small 'ethnic' places. I can't really recommend any because the few that friends recommended in D.C. really disappointed me because I was comparing to the food I had in Bangkok, etc.

#55 balex

balex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:58 PM

I loved 2 amy's -- I was taken there by a friend and realized I had been there before, but it was much better this time.

Solid steak at BLT steak.

A very good meal at the Bartlett Pear Inn in Easton on the Easter shore. Fresh and delicious, not original at all but good eating.

Quite a lot of crab in various forms.

A good cocktail at the Mandarin Oriental -- the bartender positively beamed when I asked for a martini very wet.

And wow, College Park is a real shithole.

#56 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,954 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:01 PM

And wow, College Park is a real shithole.

we tried to warn you
Why not mayo?

#57 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,596 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:09 PM

Glad you liked 2 Amy's. It's consistency is, shall we say, inconsistent, but when on it's very good. And their charcuterie plates are fine as well. Perhaps I'm too tough on them.

As I said upthread, some very good cocktail options are now around.

College Park - making Tacoma Park look nice.

Marta, My Dear

#58 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 41,657 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:36 PM

A good cocktail at the Mandarin Oriental -- the bartender positively beamed when I asked for a martini very wet.

That happened to me at the Carlyle last week. I love it when that happens.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#59 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,230 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:35 PM

Glad you liked 2 Amy's. It's consistency is, shall we say, inconsistent, but when on it's very good. And their charcuterie plates are fine as well. Perhaps I'm too tough on them.

As I said upthread, some very good cocktail options are now around.

College Park - making Tacoma Park look nice.

The area around the University of Maryland would seem like it should have good options, but all I've ever seen are bars, pizza and falafel places. And, lots of concrete, strip malls, etc.

In contrast, Newark DE (home of the University of Delaware) has several nice restaurants, upscale watering holes, etc. As well as concrete, strip malls, pizza, etc

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#60 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,785 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:34 PM

Ah, Newark, where I first learned of the thrills of Chik-Fil-A (and how to pronounce it!). :lol:

Might I suggest that a possible reason is that University of Delaware has a considerable presence in hospitality training? When I worked in catering for Aramark, I went to an excellent seminar there.

I don't want to seem obsessed with this, but . . . -- Sneakeater, August 13, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table