3 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,025 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:48 AM

Let me start by saying, the food was fantastic... We ordered the baked miso clams, the special aji sashimi and the seafood plateau.

The issue we had was with the waitstaff... The service was absolutely abysmal. It got so bad that it became comical. In fact, if it wasn't as bad, then it would have ruined the dinner.. But, because it was so bad, we actually enjoyed ourselves. Does that make sense?

We arrived last night around 945 pm. I have been going to Blue Ribbons my whole adult life.. i started out going to the ones downtown, I eventually moved up to the UWS and would then frequent the one on 58th street.. I have never had a problem with the staff before.

The room is beautiful, it was FILLED with waitstaff.. There was more waitstaff then customers at this point in the evening.. However, they were dancing, they were all talking in the back, no one was helping us.. Our waiter, Eric or Kevin, was perhaps the least knowledgeable waiter I have ever had. Things like, not knowing that they had more than one beer on tap.. I asked him what beers do you have on tap, we only have Asahi, he told me.. I believe it's a dry beer.. 15 minutes later, after not being able to find Eric or Kevin, I finally flag down another server.. I would like to have a beer, which one he asks.. I thought you only had one on tap? oh no, we have like 6 beers on tap.

He didn't know menu items.. He did not know that they carried lobster sashimi.. When we ordered the special aji sashimi, which was this beautiful whole fish, he asked us if we would like it sushi or sashimi. His description was the best part.. Here is the fish, there is sushi and sashimi all over the plate. Huh?

He then disappeared and never came back. i guess he left for the night.. So, then we tried to flag down people just wandering around, they would say, please ask your server? Please ask our server, our server left the building. Can I please just have a fucking fork. We asked for one beer, we received two. Three times, I watched a bus boy go over and try to flag down Kevin/Eric while I now can guess he was logging off the computer. He never came back to the table. Beer sat empty, our saki sat empty, we would have ordered another bottle.

By our last beer, Kevin/Eric's replacement stepped in and we ended the evening on a better note. All we needed was one more beer and the check so, the heavy lifting was done.

i don't know, it seemed that the whole staff was new, or something.. It was terrible getting refills, getting simple things.. We were not demanding people but, we needed little things like glasses, a new plate, some more forks.. Our clams stayed on the table 15 minutes after they were finished but, as were were in the middle of eating the aji sashimi, they decided to move our plates and plop down the plateau.. I asked them to come back when we were finished with our dish, as there was no room on the table for anything else.. I knew we were going to pay for that, as it took them another 15 minutes to acknowledge us..

All in all, we spent the night laughing at the service, enjoying the food.

Notes on the food, the clams were delicious but, they were 4 cherry stones for 13.50 dollars

The seafood plateau was as good as I have had.. There was Jonah Crab, Lobster, huge shrimp, oysters, we subbed out the clams for more oysters, 3 dollar up charge, some dinky looking shrimp for cocktail too.. .Everything was fresh and delicious.. The dipping sauce, it was a spicy celery mignonette was awesome..

The aji sashimi was also amazing.. They served the whole fish, sashimi style and then they had the fish skeleton with head still on the plate.. it was propped on the plate and secured with tooth picks to look like it was swimming.. After we ate the sashimi they took the plate away and deep fried the body.. it was really cool. delicious..

Dinner was 200 before tip..
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#2 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,656 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:23 PM

Dinner was 200 before tip..

This is the main reason why I haven't been eager to try the Blue Ribbons (other than the one at Columbus Circle, which I've been to a couple of times). The food seems too expensive for what you're getting.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#3 GordonCooks

GordonCooks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:43 PM

I've always thought to be on par, maybe even a better value than the big name places.

I'm usually ordering the Sashimi Deluxe and a roll or two and it's a good amount of fish (for me that is, and I'm a big eater)
Jazz is musical improvisation; it is the art of the moment. In the recording of jazz, the inspiration and inventiveness of this moment is made permanent by technology, giving pleasure many years after the performance.

Photography is jazz for the eye. - William Claxton

#4 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,025 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:24 AM

Went to dinner this evening, the three of us.. Miss K was in all her glory... Caesar salad to start, a mid meal salmon roll, fried chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy, followed by a chocolate sunday.. On a good note, my mashed potatoes and fried chicken still remain to be her favorite. Fried chicken was slightly over cooked..

Miss A and I split a really nice Dressner, 2009 Vouvray. We started with the Hamachi Tataki and the whole horse mackerel, or their aji sashimi. they later take the fish and deep fry the body.. Miss K managed to half of our appetizers too. We then moved on to a collection of special sushi pieces. Uni sushi, scallop and cho-toro sashimi, a few different pieces to finish with..

Really nice dinner. A type of place where the menu is so varied, there is something for everyone,... Lots of tables ordering steaks..  dinner with tip was $330 bucks.  
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.