13 replies to this topic

#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,607 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:04 PM

Bloomberg has an article on how the arrival of Umami Burgers (a Los Angeles chain) in NY marks an accomplishment partly driven by food shows on television. People watch unusual burgers being constructed, like ahi tuna with wasabi flake, and demand it. At the same time, folks seek something more than a McDonald's hamburger. The convergence is a super premium burger in the $10 to $20 and up space.

Wendy's in particular isn't rolling over. New burgers, gourmet toppings, etc are being rolled out. But no valet parking, alcohol, etc. There's lot of growth in the $10 and up burger segment, with 2011 growth at 18%, compared to 3% overall.

Based on the article, I see the tiers as McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, In N Out at the bottom tier, with places like Five Guys, Steak n Shake, NY Burger, Smashburger, etc on the next level up. Above that are Bobby's Burger Place, the Ale House chain, Red Robin, Zinburger, The Office, The Counter, etc coming in at $15-$20. Specialty burgers like Wolfgang Puck's burger at Spago, dbBistro Moderne's burger ets are in the next tier up.

The article sees saturation coming soon. And, it sees the chain restaurants getting hammered first.

Umami’s prices start at $10 for the most basic offerings, including the Hatch Burger, with four types of green chilies. The most expensive is the Ahi Tuna Burger, at $15.

Founder Adam Fleischman said Umami offers “fine-dining fast-food,” albeit with valet parking and full bars at some locations. In Manhattan, he said, it will succeed by catering to high expectations of diners with many choices.
‘Chain Mentality’

Fleischman said he also expects a shakeout. “I think it will affect the franchise players specifically,” he said.

Interest in fancy burgers has been fueled in part by cooking shows, such as cable network Bravo’s “Top Chef,” Nazarian said. “The names and descriptions of ingredients in food are becoming part of our daily vocabulary,” he said. “This awareness is breaking that chain mentality.”

Back in the 1990s, “you never had a chef with a credible resume doing anything like the burger,” said Sang Yoon, the former executive chef at Michael’s who bought a Santa Monica pub called Father’s Office in 2000 and made it into one of the region’s first burger-focused restaurants. He opened a second store in L.A. in 2008 and said demand has been so strong he’s considering expanding.
Dry-Aged

Chef Wolfgang Puck has been serving a variation of his $23 grilled prime burger with smoked onion marmalade, garlic aioli and Vermont farmhouse white cheddar at Spago in Beverly Hills for at least 10 years, according to the restaurant.

Burgers

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#2 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,931 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:37 PM

Perfect name for the founder of a burger chain. Or maybe I should say names: not just Fleischman, but Puck, too.

I try never to dine with other people. It just makes things so much easier. -- Anthony Bonner, March 28, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#3 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,946 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:52 PM

Perfect name for the founder of a burger chain. Or maybe I should say names: not just Fleischman, but Puck, too.

Fleischman is also in on Red Medicine, known as the spot where a local food critic was outed.

I got that gin in my system
Somebody's gon' be my victim.

Big Freedia

#4 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,607 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:02 PM

Burger Man Pat LaFrieda sends a cease and desist order to Wendy's burgers.

Stop Using the Black Label Name, I Own It

Eater and NY Post

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#5 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,151 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:54 PM

i just saw la frieda's new show meat men on food network. the episode was about his epic attempt to develop the custom meat blend for michael white's first burger, the "white label" burger.

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#6 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,151 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:27 PM

544509_549559565084595_251517297_n.jpg

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

#7 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,114 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:33 PM

I'm surprised Ozersky's picture isn't on that package too.

“I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.”

"One of the Evil Twin beers I tried smelled like a foot." - LiquidNY

"I don't have time to point out all the ways in which you're wrong" - irnscrabblechf52

#8 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,151 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:45 PM

but then no one would be able to eat it

~Jack Handey

#9 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,656 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:03 PM

They'd need a much larger label.

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#10 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:31 PM

"Premium", "burger", "growing".

http://www.nytimes.c...urger.html?_r=0

#11 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,946 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:40 PM

"Premium", "burger", "growing".

http://www.nytimes.c...urger.html?_r=0

Can I get fries with that?

Big Freedia

#12 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:44 PM

Mmmmm...fetal calf serum.

Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#13 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,946 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:18 PM

I

I suppose some would prefer fetal pig serum.

Big Freedia

#14 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66,652 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:29 PM

pinkish liquid

...never plays well with the crowd.