#2 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,142 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:31 PM

Ridiculous, yes.

I had an incredibly disappointing, and expensive, lunch at Mary's last fall and doubt I will ever return.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#3 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,624 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:35 PM

Oh - don't get me wrong - Mary's is a poor choice but on this list it isn't even one of the worst choices. I assume he's getting paid cash money by John's and Rockmeisha.
Why not mayo?

#4 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,688 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:44 PM

I like the way these lists are always finished with "all restaurants were considered" - as if it's even physically possible to eat in all the restaurants in question. I guess "considered" means looking at Zagat or something.

#5 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,114 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:37 PM

The most amazing part is that he's been doing this for almost 20 years... According to Malcolm Gladwell he should be a restaurant review genius by now.
I never said that

#6 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,095 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:41 PM

Thanks for the link. As terrible as some of that list is (and it includes some of my least favorite places in all of NYC), it reminded me that I liked I Sodi the one time I went and might want to go back. It also reminded me that I'm an idiot for still not ever getting to Annisa. Hopefully, this will soon be corrected.

This space available… contact owner.

#7 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,518 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:31 PM

The most amazing part is that he's been doing this for almost 20 years... According to Malcolm Gladwell he should be a restaurant review genius by now.

I thought Gladwell includes something about the number of repetitions. Since this list probably takes about three seconds to pull together, that's actually only one minute total.

(I've only been to Annisa, which I love, and Petite Abeille, which is a total ripoff, so I'm not really commenting on the list itself.)

I don't want to seem obsessed with this, but . . . -- Sneakeater, August 13, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#8 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:13 PM

We went up to A Mano Pizza in Ridgewood NJ the other night. Two Ridgewood Girls were seated at the table next to us; if you spend any time in Ridgewood restaurants, you'll get to know them. One of them was talking of how a male acquaintance kept raving about "this place called John's in the Village," so she finally went with him, & thought it was nothing special, particularly when A Mano was right in their town. I wanted to chime in with a "Right on sister!" but I lacked the nerve.

This is really just an excuse to remind all you Pizza Crawlers that you have GOT to try A Mano sometime.
It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

Please come visit my rock concert blog: Tantalized.

#9 Jesikka

Jesikka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:25 PM

This list is amazing and I can only hope was created under the influence of at least two substances. Especially when you consider that this neighborhood is home to the paper and the critic. It reads as though the last 6 years never happened. And the food in the WV has gotten a LOT better in that time. There are restaurants on here that I forgot existed.

#10 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:40 PM

The most amazing thing about that was that under No 5: Mary's Fish Camp's entry they gave Pearl Oyster Bar's address and phone #.

Joined at the hip, whether you like it or not..
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#11 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,034 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:38 PM

Thanks for the link. As terrible as some of that list is (and it includes some of my least favorite places in all of NYC), it reminded me that I liked I Sodi the one time I went and might want to go back. It also reminded me that I'm an idiot for still not ever getting to Annisa. Hopefully, this will soon be corrected.

I Sodi got a shout out from Fancine Stephens and Andrew Feinberg of Franny's the other day.  Wall  Street Journal:

Francine: When we do eat out, we're huge fans of I Sodi [in Manhattan's West Village]. That's one of our hands-down favorite restaurants. Andrew: You feel like you're in Italy when you're eating there. Where else? I like Prime Meats a lot; Diner; Marlow & Sons [all in Brooklyn]. Francine: We go to Tanoreen, and we just discovered Lulu & Po [both in Brooklyn] and thought it was just lovely.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#12 changeup

changeup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:47 AM

This list is terrible

10. Petitte Abeille
9. Taim
8. Annisa
7. Corsino
6. Malatesta
5. Mary's Fish Camp
4. En Japanese Bistro
3. I Sodi
2. Rockmeisha
1. John's Pizza

Ha - when you click through, the article has a picture of Taim's Sabich Sandwich with the caption:

"Uniting egg and eggplant, possibly for the first time"

Or possibly for 50+ years now...

The only one of these I would have on my list would be Taim.  Probably in the top 3. 

#13 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,518 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:02 AM

I Sodi got a shout out from Fancine Stephens and Andrew Feinberg of Franny's the other day.  Wall  Street Journal:

Francine: When we do eat out, we're huge fans of I Sodi [in Manhattan's West Village]. That's one of our hands-down favorite restaurants. Andrew: You feel like you're in Italy when you're eating there. Where else? I like Prime Meats a lot; Diner; Marlow & Sons [all in Brooklyn]. Francine: We go to Tanoreen, and we just discovered Lulu & Po [both in Brooklyn] and thought it was just lovely.

Neat. I just worked on an e-book that includes Rita Sodi (along with Alex Raij, Katy Sparks, and Maneet Chauhan), and the story and recipes really made me want to eat there. "You feel like you're in Italy" is the operative term there--and not just in Italy, but at her family's home. Nice to see that.

I don't want to seem obsessed with this, but . . . -- Sneakeater, August 13, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table