2 replies to this topic

#1 GordonCooks

GordonCooks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:48 PM

Ok so it's been a while since I put anything on paper so here you go Adrian.

Splendido, It's the only place I've never had a full blown meal at in Toronto so choosing it was a no brainer.

The place was quiet for our 5:30 seating and we were late (a a cab story for later) We were warmly greeted and seated in my favorite bar spot - at the end with a view of all that transpires.

My girl Leslie is the Chardonnay Expert of the house and I byob'd an 09 Kongsgaard from home and we had a 07 Girardin Chassagne Montrachet Le Cailleret from the list.

Posted Image

Amuse of Artichoke Puree and chick pea frite

Posted Image

British Columbia Hedgehog Mushroom Salad
Sunchoke Purée, Truffle Vinaigrette, Triple Crunch Mustard

Posted Image

Roasted Garlic & Parsley Agnolotti
Rapini, Charred Shishito Peppers & Almonds

Posted Image

Cured Ontario Rainbow Trout
Caramelized Cucumber, Caraway, Crème Fraiche & Dill Pickle

Posted Image

Organic Salmon, Ireland
Roasted Endive, Confit Kumquat, White Bean Purée & Juniper Berry

Posted Image

Albacore Tuna, Nova Scotia
Arancini, Cucumber, Razor Clams & Black Sesame Vinaigrette

Posted Image

Cheese Plate

Posted Image

The food started off well but tapered off - maybe suffering more from conception than execution. The amuse and mushroom salad were delicious, the Agnolotti sublime but the trout was a little lacking in seasoning and the lightly pickled cuke was barely that, much too light.

The Irish Salmon was very gamey and overpowered the sides (most times I've had Irish Salmon, it's usually had a light smoke) This dish just didn't work for me as the components tasted fine individually but not a cohesive dish. The tuna was good but very delicate in flavor and needing more help from the supporting cast. We also had some frites on the side with a Malt Vinegar that was excellent but the brussel sprouts were mush. My GF is pescetarian so we do seafood mostly but the meat dishes may be a different story so I welcome opinions.

She's also a little lactose and they steered her away from the Chocolate millefeuille and offered her something else (which basically a bowl of chocolate pieces) and something else that was good but forgettable.

Anyways, Service is impeccable, maybe the best we've had in Toronto and so is the space. It would warrant a return visit for some different entrees.
Jazz is musical improvisation; it is the art of the moment. In the recording of jazz, the inspiration and inventiveness of this moment is made permanent by technology, giving pleasure many years after the performance.

Photography is jazz for the eye. - William Claxton

#2 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:50 PM

Thanks for that. Interesting that they're still offering fries and other sides given the restaurant's increased post recession ambition.

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#3 uhockey

uhockey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:13 PM

Ate at Splendido on 3/30 and will say without hesitation that the food and service was on the Michelin 2* (compared to NYC, Chicago, SF) level in all ways. I will admit that chef Victor offered to cook for myself and my friend and 6 of the 14 courses were not on the standard menu, but it was really a stunning meal and a place I'd not hesitate to recommend or return to.