#1 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,364 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:51 PM

Elswhere, Sneakeater posts thusly:

No no no. It's not like Bedford AT ALL. That's what's GOOD about it. It's about as unslick as you could imagine. It's more like, say, Christiana in Copenhagen. Or the 1990s squatter district in Hamburg. (Except this being America, where there's no Left, it's not explicitly Leftist.)

Pass the mushrooms. Christiana, I don't know, but a district of Hamburg? As far as I know, he's only referring to the block or two between the Morgan Ave Bogart Street exit and Roberta's. Perhaps the gaggle of hipsters outside the deli, or the mobile vintage clothes truck, or the odd sign pointing towards a shoe outlet somewhere conjure the image of exciting galleries and artists' squats just around the corner.

But if you do go around the corner, and the next corner, there's nothing there. Okay, admittedly there are circles of artists and pseudo-artists in the neighborhood, going to each others' parties and putting on the odd pop-up exhibition and happening. But nobody walking around the neighborhood - and not knowing people - is going to come across that scene.

I'd really like to know just precisely where and what the attractions of Bushwick are. All welcome!

#2 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,623 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:53 PM

The Hamburg squatters' district was only a few blocks. (Not known for its cuisine, I'll admit.)

(Actually, I think it was the 1980s squatter district in Hamburg. The city cleaned it up in the 1990s.)
Bar Loser

MF Old

#3 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,277 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:55 PM

I'm still waiting for "Style Tribes: BPC".

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#4 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,364 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:56 PM

Many - many - musicians, entertainers, and people in the arts in the broadest sense live in Bushwick. This, of course, is another way of saying that lots of bartenders and servers live in Bushwick. This is true. But they mainly do their stuff elsewhere.

Come on, someone: list me some Bushwick attractions.

#5 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,277 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:58 PM

It's not about attractions. By that measure, midtown and Times Square are the most vital neighborhoods in NYC.

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#6 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,364 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:00 PM

I am not using "attractions" in that sense exclusively. Name me anything "vital" which would attract visitors. I mean - name me what's there.

Seriously, other than the two blocks Sneak seems to be referring too - and there's precious little to see there - precisely where in Bushwick would you suggest anyone go?

#7 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,410 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:02 PM

Its early stage gentrification. Right now Roberta's aside there isn't much a reason to go out there. Tho some of big galleries in Chelsea are getting space out there.

And the next location is Ridgewood.

Christiana is a little bit o'hyperbole I think.
Why not mayo?

#8 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,410 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:03 PM

I am not using "attractions" in that sense exclusively. Name me anything "vital" which would attract visitors. I mean - name me what's there.

Seriously, other than the two blocks Sneak seems to be referring too - and there's precious little to see there - precisely where in Bushwick would you suggest anyone go?

Luhring Augustine just opened a second space out there - that's one thing? Course its pretty close to Morgan.
Why not mayo?

#9 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,068 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:04 PM

I've been to some of the wildest parties in my life in Bushwick about 4-5 years ago (and this includes spending the 90s in Israel during the height of the ecstasy/psych trance/rave era). I agree with you that unless you know people who live there, there aren't many obvious attractions except for some modestly interesting galleries and Roberta's (and 3rd Ward if you're into making stuff).

Off topic, but did you see they've finally evicted Tacheles?
I never said that

#10 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,119 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:04 PM

Ahem. Just to add fuel to the fire. I was chatting on Saturday night with a tattooed, dreadlocked artist who lives in Bushwick. Roberta's environs, he politely but insistently informed me, are most definitley not Bushwick but rather East Williamsburg.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#11 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,623 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:06 PM

Places I've Gone In Bushwick by Sneakeater

Norte Maar

Bushwick Starr

Shea Stadium

Market Hotel (now closed)

Woodhull Medical Center
Bar Loser

MF Old

#12 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,623 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:07 PM

Ahem. Just to add fuel to the fire. I was chatting on Saturday night with a tattooed, dreadlocked artist who lives in Bushwick. Roberta's environs, he politely but insistently informed me, are most definitley not Bushwick but rather East Williamsburg.

I actually agree with that, FWIW.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#13 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,068 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:08 PM

You know you're in Bushwick when people insist it's not.
I never said that

#14 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,623 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:08 PM

Christiana is a little bit o'hyperbole I think.

Might be.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#15 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,364 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:09 PM

Yes, that's what they're trying to get people to call it. :lol:

Yeah, a few galleries -- as the article says, concentrated around the L Train stop. That's a tiny corner of Bushwick.