Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,019 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:03 AM

Yun Nan Garden
3934 Schiff Dr(702) 869-8885

All I have to say is Wow.. This is probably the best Sichuan Restaurant I have ever been to. In China, In New York, in Hong Kong, this place is truly exceptional. The food here is absolutely spectacular. I went with three people tonight and we ate like Kings. I was so shocked and caught off guard, I am still surprised.

Posted Image

We ordered a bunch of food and each dish was a winner. i can't clearly say there was one thing I liked better than the next. We were the only Non Chinese in the restaurant.

up in the front of the restaurant there is buffet style type set up where there are large cold dishes that you can order from. There were intestines, goose heads, goose and chicken feet, lots of weird parts. One of the people I was with is not a big fan of cold dishes and wanted to go more for the hot items. I did talk them into getting the spicy peanuts and dried fish though.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Heads:

Posted Image

Peanuts and sweet dried fish:

Posted Image

Sichuan Dumplings sitting in spicy sauce: Soft dumplings with pork. House made skins were super delicate but, yet held together.. There was hints of sesame oil.. Delicious:

Posted Image

Spicy cumin lamb with green bell pepper, jalapeño, scallion, sichuan and red chiles.The lamb was sliced in strips and covered with cumin, then wok tossed with these peppers. Holy cow, if I just ate this dish I would have been so happy with the dinner.. The lamb was so tasty, the best cumin lamb I have had.

Posted Image

Sliced fried fish tossed with chile peppers: Unbelievable.
Posted Image

A large bowl of rice:

Posted Image

Fried spareribs.. Here the ribs still had a little bone. The ribs were fried and got to the temperature where all the sinew and fat liquified. There was a little bone that easily disconnected from the meat with a some little mouth work. Again tossed with peppers. It was amazing how many of the dishes appeared to have the same preparation but, were so uniquely different.

Posted Image

Eggplant.. It was served piping hot, the eggplant was super melty. The sugars came out of the eggplant and it was just so wonderful. One of the better eggplants dishes I have had in a long time.. It was just so expertly prepared. I love eggplant but there is such a margin of error for me that often times I am left very disappointed. This was perfection.

Posted Image

You have to have some greens:

Posted Image

I am almost embarrassed to admit how much the three of us ate. There were two dumplings, a little eggplant, some greens and then just plates of dried chile peppers left over. I wish i lived closer to this place, i would probably go here once a week. Service was so nice, prices were very reasonable. I can't wait to go back and try the numerous dishes that we had to pass on. I have eaten with these people all over China and we have unanimously decided this was among the best places we have eaten.

Posted Image

A must try!

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#2 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,612 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:40 PM

looks like every sichuan restaurant in the sgv.

my annoying opinions: untimely whisky reviews and occasional cultural commentary

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#3 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,019 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:51 PM

what is SGV?

#4 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:41 PM

looks great to me.

#5 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,546 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:47 PM

what is SGV?

The San Gabriel Valley--just east of downtown LA. In fact, here's one called Yunnan Garden.

I got that gin in my system
Somebody's gon' be my victim.

Big Freedia

#6 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,019 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:45 PM

The place is the best Sichuan i have been to in recent memory.

#7 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,019 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:07 PM

Another dinner here the other night.  I took some customers from Utah who have never heard of Sichuan Food. The place was as delicious as I remember it.   Still remains to be one of my favorite Sichuan Restaurants.  

Two plates of cold food. Peanuts, tongue and tripe, garlic cucumbers and beef shin.  The tofu in spicy sauce and some kind of candied pork. 

There was little pieces of lamb cooked with cumin, the fried chicken and peppers, sliced fish in chili oil with cabbage, string beans and pork. 

8579422925_9ebf438a3b_c.jpg

#8 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,812 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:11 PM

In the top picture, are those sliced duck heads?  And, if so, why?

And she was.

#9 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,623 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:14 PM

Is there a big local chinese population in LV? Or are these places catering to gamblers who leave the strip looking for what they want to eat?

Why not mayo?

#10 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,470 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:28 PM

Not really. Less than 10% (I think the number is around 6-7%) of LAS is Asian Some of the gamblers do head to our Chinatown. But, most of the restaurants survive on the 'locals' trade.

#11 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,019 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:28 PM

Duck heads. The skin around the neck is  really delicious and people love the duck brain.  And not people that you  think are eating duck brain to be cool but, there is a whole culture of people that don't only eat duck breast and then toss the rest of the bird in the garbage. 

There seems to be a large population of Chinese People.  AT Yunnan Garden, my customers from Utah said they noticed a Chinese Tour bus that services Washington, Utah, Las Vegas Area.   Yunnan and the Hunanese Place next door which, i have yet to photograph, often has bus loads of Chinese Tourist stop by.  When I go to these places, I am normally one of the only White Dudes in the place if not the only.. I don't think Chinatown is a place catering to any gamblers.  I often read the yelp reviews of these places and the reviews are from Asians visiting from LA or local people.  

#12 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,019 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:56 AM

cold dishes to start:

beef shin, tripe and sour vegetables.

9442034474_36f87f6788_o.jpg

peanuts with fish, cucumbers and super spicy chicken.

9439250295_dd11160ed9_o.jpg

Sliced fish and tofu

9439249229_5072b7acc3_o.jpg

Pea shoots and cumin lamb. 

awesome dinner.  place was bumping.

#13 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,812 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:54 PM

I dragged some colleagues here last night.  They had trouble getting past the lighting and lack of tablecloths.  But they thought everything was very good, although too hot for them. (Nothing was particularly hot.)

We had:

Szechuan cold noodles

ma po tofu

salt & pepper shrimp

cumin lamb

chicken with garlic sauce

House fried rice.

The S&P Shrimp wasn't very good -- it tasted like fried cornstarch.  Everything else was pretty good, although I wasn't as enthusiastic about it as Daniel.  Nice to get off the strip though.

And she was.

#14 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,019 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:16 AM

Sorry you didn't like it as much as myself.  You really missed out not getting the sliced fish, the dumplings, the spareribs and the greens.. Also, the cold dishes were really good no?  

Sorry handsome, I wish you liked it more. 

#15 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,812 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:09 PM

No need to apologize.  It was good.  My ordering choices were limited by circumstances.   The buffet of sliced duck heads was almost a deal-killer.

And she was.