Why not mayo?

#137 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:51 PM

You can't get to the point where you're a movie reviewer and feel you have to give good reviews to Michael Bay-type movies (or, OTOH, American Beauty-type movies) because a lot of people like them.

Oh, of course. Critics are supposed to be more sophisticated.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#138 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,069 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:33 PM

Is that the Tom Hanks movie?

I mean if you want them to remain your friends.
I never said that

#139 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,669 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:38 PM

But they're dunderheads, remember?

I've gotten NO mileage from recommending restaurants I find "interesting" to friends who do not share my "interests" and care more about, say, chairs and lack of noise and such.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#140 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:54 PM

But they're dunderheads, remember?

I've gotten NO mileage from recommending restaurants I find "interesting" to friends who do not share my "interests" and care more about, say, chairs and lack of noise and such.

Good point. One of the reasons I've basically stopped recommending restaurants to friends.

Nashville Skyline

Follow My Blog:  Tasty Travails

#141 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,406 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:01 PM

Is that the Tom Hanks movie?

Posted Image

Who's the twat with the stupid haircut? Sitting next to Tom?

#142 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,406 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:03 PM

You can want interesting food and chairs and lack of noise. It's even possible to get it.

#143 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,669 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:17 PM

And who don't want food that's too "interesting".
Bar Loser

MF Old

#144 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:36 PM

Good point. One of the reasons I've basically stopped recommending restaurants to friends.

I have no trouble making such recommendations. Just remember, they're not asking where YOU would go; they're asking where THEY should go. If you keep that distinction in mind, then it's easy.

For instance, I sent someone to Delmonico's downtown. Later, they thanked me profusely for such a good suggestion. Now, I wouldn't have gone there. But I realized that it was perfectly appropriate for what THEY wanted and needed. It's really very easy when you put your mind to it.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#145 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,406 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:44 PM

So Eater links to this thread and makes it look like we're discussing Nomad. The name similarity is going to cause problems, although I agree this is a trivial one.

#146 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,669 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:48 PM

If it's on Eater, there's no ambiguity about which of the two places they're referring to.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#147 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,406 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:20 PM

I see from the hotel Website, that the dining choices are Bar, Library, Parlor, Atrium and Fireplace.

Phew.

Which is the dining room (if there is a "proper" one)?

#148 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:27 PM

I see from the hotel Website, that the dining choices are Bar, Library, Parlor, Atrium and Fireplace.

Phew.

The Parlour. (It's spelled with a "u" on the website.) It is a proper dining room.

#149 hcbk0702

hcbk0702

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:10 PM

Phew.

Instead, this is the restaurant Hotel Griffou dreams of being. Three completely incongruous dining areas lie just past the hostess stand: the center one ("Atrium") is attractively bathed in natural light, courtesy of a large pyramidal glass roof; the right one is fussier, dominated by an ornate fireplace (called the "Fireplace", duh); the left one does its best impression of a velvet-swathed bordello ("The Parlour", but aren't we in America?).

Visually, I liked the "Atrium" the most of the three, though I'd imagine it'll be the noisiest space. "The Parlour" should be quieter.

#150 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,669 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:10 AM

Right. The three dining rooms are the Parlour, the Atrium, and the Fireplace. I ate in the Parlour. It was nice.
Bar Loser

MF Old