279 replies to this topic

#91 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,426 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:00 PM

How much is the reputation of Nomad worth?

As it's been around for quite a few years, you'd think the owner might value it.

I think he'll make more off confused tourists. Of course the NoMad can always change its name to The Imperial Dining Hall and Library at The Most Excellent NoMad Hotel.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#92 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69,994 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:15 PM

I am thoroughly cowed after being told on Eater that, duh, there was a capital "M" in NoMad.

I suggested my interlocutor try opening a restaurant called La Cirque.

#93 aek

aek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:33 PM

No idea what the law is like for these restaurant name suits, but there's a link on Eater about Boulud suing someone for trademark infringement of DBGB. If Nomad East Village didn't trademark their name (seems highly likely), then can they actually do anything to stop The NoMad?

#94 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,426 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:41 PM

There was a recent article about Tokyo (by Steingarten?) in which he tells the story of how, having failed to book Umi Sushi (which doesn't take reservations from foreigners), the hotel concierge booked the wrong Umi Sushi for them. This reminded me of how I almost sent someone to the wrong Miyakozushi, having quickly looked up the phone number, not realizing there are at least five of them in Tokyo.

#95 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69,994 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:52 PM

I'm only going on precedent. Forge was changed to Marc Forgione because Forge, Miami sued; Graffit was changed to Gastroarte because Graffit sued. As far as I know, these were out of court agreements rather than rulings.

#96 changeup

changeup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:55 PM

Ironically, even "Nomado 33" shows up before "The NoMad" on Opentable when you simply type in Nomad. It's right behind... Nomad.

#97 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,116 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:07 PM

Here's a thought I had about The NoMad (the one on Broadway, not the one on Second Ave.).

I'm eager to return there on a date (in fact, I've already made plans to).

But I can't imagine dropping in there to grab some food at the bar by myself. Not just because the bar area seems so uncomfortable. And not because of the expense -- I have no problem dropping into the bars or lounges at per se, Le B, Marea, etc. alone.

It's because this food, good as it is, just doesn't seem interesting enough to eat by yourself. It's mainly good as a kind of food to share with people who otherwise complain about the weird places you take them to.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#98 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,015 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:13 PM

It's because this food, good as it is, just doesn't seem interesting enough to eat by yourself. It's mainly good as a kind of food to share with people who otherwise complain about the weird places you take them to.

That's a pretty remarkable criticism.
Why not mayo?

#99 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,116 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:20 PM

It's not a criticism.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#100 changeup

changeup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:20 PM

As long as it's better at it than say Veritas, and not in a different price category, then it's definitely not a criticism.

#101 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,116 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:21 PM

Thanks. That's my point. It's like that -- but REALLY good.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#102 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69,994 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:22 PM

It does look expensive. $65 for three (roughly median) courses before tax, tip or the merest sip of wine.

#103 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,116 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:25 PM

That decor cost them a lot of money. You want this cheaper, they'd have to do it Mon.-Wed. in an art gallery.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#104 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:28 PM

I'm only going on precedent. Forge was changed to Marc Forgione because Forge, Miami sued; Graffit was changed to Gastroarte because Graffit sued. As far as I know, these were out of court agreements rather than rulings.

That type of lawsuit is just not worth defending. Neither Forge nor Graffit really needed their original names to survive. Marc Forgione is clearly a hit now, and if Graffit isn't, it's not because of the name.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#105 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,426 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:30 PM

That type of lawsuit is just not worth defending. Neither Forge nor Graffit really needed their original names to survive. Marc Forgione is clearly a hit now, and if Graffit isn't, it's not because of the name.

Well, of course it's worth defending if there's a damages claim.

But I'd be surprised if the existing Nomad has ever made a profit or can show how it plans to do so.