276 replies to this topic

#181 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78,798 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:42 PM

Yes it is. And women who come here in the evening dress outlandishly.

#182 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,428 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:37 PM

Then why do they call it "Grandma's Roast Chicken"???

Maybe just because "Poulet Grandmère" is pretty standard for "Roast Chicken"?

I just had a Grandma's Roast Chicken at Gascogne, and I can tell you, my grandmother probably wouldn't have recognized it as such. And it was just a hunk o' chicken breast with some sauce and a lot of little bits of vegetables (artichoke? cippolini? oyster mushroom? Was is loss?).

"Mansplaining" is bad enough.  "Waitsplaining" is insufferable. -- Lex, 24 May - 01:08 PM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#183 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78,798 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:56 PM

I've hoisted my NoMad review. The food is polished, but I didn't fall in love with the ambience.

#184 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 52,304 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:12 PM

A well-considered review.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#185 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,212 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:17 PM

I've hoisted my NoMad review. The food is polished, but I didn't fall in love with the ambience.

I think the ambiance will change somewhat, once it is no longer the Latest Thing.

One correction, or at least quibble, regarding the "recently invented NoMad neighborhood." Wikipedia has had an article for it since 2010, which claims references as early as 1999. It's as reasonable a name as Tribeca, NoHo, and NoLIta, all coined within our lifetimes. The neighborhood doesn't have a good name that everyone agrees on: it's the western half of the area that appears as an unlabeled gray box on the taxi map (PDF here).
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#186 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 52,304 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:20 PM

The Taxi Commission hasn't discovered "Rose Hill" yet (for the eastern part).
Bar Loser

MF Old

#187 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 52,304 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:21 PM

I think the ambiance will change somewhat, once it is no longer the Latest Thing.

I think that's right. Although I also think it's a valid question what will become of this restaurant then.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#188 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78,798 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:27 PM

The earliest reference of any substance is 2001, which for me does not make it "the historic NoMad neighborhood." I may be showing my age, but I regard 2001 as recent.

Perhaps, but I think the ambience - sad to say - will outlast people's memory of my review.

#189 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 52,304 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:30 PM

This might be a good time to revive a complaint about the Angelica Cinema's website, which at least used to claim that the theater was located "in the heart of the historic Soho district."

Not only is "Soho" as a district not historic (although it's much more historic than "NoMad"), but the Angelica is at best located across the street from it.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#190 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78,798 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:31 PM

I think of the Angelika as being in Greenwich Village. Anyway...

#191 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 52,304 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:36 PM

Well, yeah. ANYBODY would think that.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#192 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,732 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:36 PM

I'll see your NoMad and raise you a BoCoCa.

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

“I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.”

"Why can't a horse fuck another horse and then race a few days later? Sort of like a boxer." - Joethefoodie

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#193 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 52,304 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:37 PM

It's funny. Before "Soho" was invented, Greenwich Village was considered to extend down to Spring Street. ("Spring" -- or "SP" -- was even the Greenwich Village telephone exchange [boy I'm old].)

Now I guess Soho extends up to the north side of Houston.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#194 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,212 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:03 PM

I think that's right. Although I also think it's a valid question what will become of this restaurant then.

It goes one of three directions. The first is failure -- not likely in this case. The second is that it develops a following -- like the Breslin. The third is that it becomes a tourist restaurant, for those who want a sprinkle of Humm/Guidara pixie dust, but can't afford (or get into) EMP.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#195 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,212 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:07 PM

Not only is "Soho" as a district not historic (although it's much more historic than "NoMad"), but the Angelica is at best located across the street from it.

Well, what tends to happen is that if you're within spitting distance, you get to claim whichever neighborhood better suits your marketing purposes -- thus, you've got buildings on the south side of Chambers Street claiming to be in Tribeca, and so forth.

By the way, I think there is an official Soho historic district. That designation applies mainly to the architecture; Soho just happens to be the current name of it.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal