Big Freedia

#2 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,545 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:54 PM

It's a silly list. If you read the comments section of the original article you'll see that a lot of people from all around the country say the same thing.

The entire premise is fatally flawed because no one is in a position to survey the entire country and make a credible list. There are too many cities and too many restaurants.

If a knowledgeable New York based writer wanted to take a shot at picking the 10 best Chinese restaurants in the 5 boroughs then we'd have something to talk about. Personally, if someone were going to make a list like that I'd prefer that they *didn't* try to rate them comparatively. Declaring a "best" restaurant in New York is a doomed effort. Some places excel at certain dishes, others excel at other dishes.

People often declare a place "the best" because they do a great job on their 5 favorite dishes. Which is great if you happen to like those 5. Of course, you might prefer 5 other dishes and find that another place makes superior versions. Which is "best?" It depends on what you like.

“I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.”

"One of the Evil Twin beers I tried smelled like a foot." - LiquidNY

"I don't have time to point out all the ways in which you're wrong" - irnscrabblechf52