#1 balex

balex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:06 PM

An interesting factoid from a wine merchant email:

"For a typical bottle of wine costing 4.00 per bottle, roughly 50 pence goes towards the winemaking. If you were to increase what you spent on your everyday glug to 5.00 per bottle, the amount going in to the cost of the winemaking would double to over 1.00. This picture continues so that for a typical 10.00 bottle of wine, around 10 times more is spent on the actual wine than in a 4.00 bottle."

Don't know how the figures compare in the US.

#2 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,062 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:32 PM

It depends, but roughly speaking a $6 bottle of wine in the UK is a $9 bottle of wine in the US.
I never said that

#3 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,338 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:54 PM

An interesting factoid from a wine merchant email:

"For a typical bottle of wine costing 4.00 per bottle, roughly 50 pence goes towards the winemaking. If you were to increase what you spent on your everyday glug to 5.00 per bottle, the amount going in to the cost of the winemaking would double to over 1.00. This picture continues so that for a typical 10.00 bottle of wine, around 10 times more is spent on the actual wine than in a 4.00 bottle."

Don't know how the figures compare in the US.

You have to wonder what the cost of the wine in Two Buck Chuck is.

I got that gin in my system
Somebody's gon' be my victim.

Big Freedia

#4 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68,260 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:01 PM

Presumably this is because of a lot of the costs (bottling, shipping) don't change much between Two-Buck Chuck and Pingus?

#5 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,902 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:09 AM

Presumably this is because of a lot of the costs (bottling, shipping) don't change much between Two-Buck Chuck and Pingus?

Fred Franzia has noted on several occasions that the marketing and advertising costs of wine exceed the manufacturing costs by an order of magnitude.

And, consider the wholesale markups (usually double their cost), followed by the retailer's markup.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#6 balex

balex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:35 AM

Yes, duty is the biggest chunk at the low end. I think it is 1.80 per bottle including VAT on the duty.