#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,238 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:54 PM

"This show IS the other side of the story"

Mr. Noble viewed “Like It Is” as a platform for ideas and perspectives — especially those of blacks — that were missing from the mainstream news media. He once called his show “the antidote to the 6 and 11 o’clock news.”

His one-on-one exchanges with African and Caribbean heads of state, including Kenneth Kaunda of Zambia, Michael Manley of Jamaica and Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe, were part of another mission: to report on events affecting people of African descent throughout the world.

“You learned a lot watching Gil,” former Mayor David N. Dinkins of New York said in an interview for this obituary. “You didn’t have to agree with everything he said, but for many of us, he was required watching.”

Dies at 80

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#2 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,170 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:04 PM

"This show IS the other side of the story"

Mr. Noble viewed “Like It Is” as a platform for ideas and perspectives — especially those of blacks — that were missing from the mainstream news media. He once called his show “the antidote to the 6 and 11 o’clock news.”

His one-on-one exchanges with African and Caribbean heads of state, including Kenneth Kaunda of Zambia, Michael Manley of Jamaica and Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe, were part of another mission: to report on events affecting people of African descent throughout the world.

“You learned a lot watching Gil,” former Mayor David N. Dinkins of New York said in an interview for this obituary. “You didn’t have to agree with everything he said, but for many of us, he was required watching.”

Dies at 80

I concur. As a youngster (many years ago), I regularly watched his show. It was virtually the only way you could find out opinions that weren't readily available otherwise. He did a great job and should be remembered up there with the best of them.

This space available… contact owner.