5 replies to this topic

#1 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,372 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:48 PM

I just saw a sgement on Face the Nation that Mike Wallace died yesterday.

I grew up watching 60 Minutes (no Wonderful World of Disney in this household) and it's still must-see-TV every Sunday. He retired awhile ago, but he is, and will continue to be, missed.

RIP

#2 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,372 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:07 PM

NYTimes

Washington Post

Wall Street Journal

And the transcription of the Face the Nation segment.

This section in the NYTimes obit touched me the most:

Hes in a facility in Connecticut. Physically, hes okay. Mentally, hes not, Chris Wallace said. He still recognizes me and knows who I am, but hes uneven. The interesting thing is, he never mentions 60 Minutes. Its as if it didnt exist. Its as if that part of his memory is completely gone. The only thing he really talks about is family me, my kids, my grandkids, his great-grandchildren. Theres a lesson there. This is a man who had a fabulous career and for whom work always came first. Now he cant even remember it.

(And what the hell is the son of Mike Wallace doing on Fox New?)

#3 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,954 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:14 PM

Hell of an interviewer. As for his memory, perhaps smoking all those Luckies got to him in the end.

I got that gin in my system
Somebody's gon' be my victim.

Big Freedia

#4 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,156 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:00 PM

One of the greats.

“I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.”

"One of the Evil Twin beers I tried smelled like a foot." - LiquidNY

"Sorry about your cookie." - Steve R.'s response to Jim Leff's epic rant.

#5 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:24 PM

Hes in a facility in Connecticut. Physically, hes okay. Mentally, hes not, Chris Wallace said. He still recognizes me and knows who I am, but hes uneven. The interesting thing is, he never mentions 60 Minutes. Its as if it didnt exist. Its as if that part of his memory is completely gone. The only thing he really talks about is family me, my kids, my grandkids, his great-grandchildren. Theres a lesson there. This is a man who had a fabulous career and for whom work always came first. Now he cant even remember it.

WHat a strange sad ending to a remarkable life.
It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

Please come visit my rock concert blog: Tantalized.

#6 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:40 PM

NYTimes

Washington Post

Wall Street Journal

And the transcription of the Face the Nation segment.

(And what the hell is the son of Mike Wallace doing on Fox New?)

I was tooling around the t.v. dial last night and caught a few minutes of Charlie Rose in which he, Morley Safter, Steve Kroft, and Jeff Fager (current president of CBS News) were discussing Mike Wallace. One of them mentioned that Wallace nearly became Richard Nixon's press secretary. I had never heard that before. That might say something about his (and Chris's) political leanings.