2 replies to this topic

#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,999 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:20 PM

Consumers Reports has an article this month about a survey of 24,000 shoppers on their likes and dislikes of major US supermarket chains. It's not comprehensive, as large chains like ShopRite were skipped, as were small regional chains like Fairway Markets or Stew Leonard's.

The criteria applied were service, perishables quality, price, and cleanliness. Sub-categories included visibility of price stickers, scanner accuracy, etc.

Highest possible score was 100. Wegman's received the top score of 88, with highest marks in service, perishables, and cleanliness. They scored above average on price. I like Wegman's but I'd say they're high on price, which would translate to a lower score.

Trader Joe was next, with top grades on everything but perishable quality. 86

Publix had 85 (average on price, above average on perishables), Fareway Stores (Nebraska, Iowa) had top scores on price, average elsehwere. Costco was next, with top scores on everything but service, where it was average. I like Costco, but a 20 minute line just doesn't work for me. They have superb wine prices in NJ. 83 for them.

Harris Teeter had an 83, followed by 81 for Whole Foods. Worst on price, above average on service, top on perishables. I'd agree with this, too. Our local WFM has a great bakery, with wonderful diversity. Fish is top notch, as is meat. Lines are easy, they always add checkers.

Fred Meyer is in this same group. Average on service, above average on perishables, price, and top on cleanliness.

There's a big group in the 70s, with Shaw's A&P, Jewel, Weis, Giant toward the bottom.

Walmart is at the bottom, with poor on service, average on perishables and price, and in the low band for cleanliness.

=====

58% of respondents have used self-checkout, 1/4 of these believed it took too long. I'd agree with this, too. I prefer the scanner tool which allows checkout in the aisle, and just paying on the way out.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#2 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,560 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:37 PM

Consumers Reports has an article this month about a survey of 24,000 shoppers on their likes and dislikes of major US supermarket chains. It's not comprehensive, as large chains like ShopRite were skipped, as were small regional chains like Fairway Markets or Stew Leonard's.

The criteria applied were service, perishables quality, price, and cleanliness. Sub-categories included visibility of price stickers, scanner accuracy, etc.

Highest possible score was 100. Wegman's received the top score of 88, with highest marks in service, perishables, and cleanliness. They scored above average on price. I like Wegman's but I'd say they're high on price, which would translate to a lower score.

Trader Joe was next, with top grades on everything but perishable quality. 86

Publix had 85 (average on price, above average on perishables), Fareway Stores (Nebraska, Iowa) had top scores on price, average elsehwere. Costco was next, with top scores on everything but service, where it was average. I like Costco, but a 20 minute line just doesn't work for me. They have superb wine prices in NJ. 83 for them.

Harris Teeter had an 83, followed by 81 for Whole Foods. Worst on price, above average on service, top on perishables. I'd agree with this, too. Our local WFM has a great bakery, with wonderful diversity. Fish is top notch, as is meat. Lines are easy, they always add checkers.

Fred Meyer is in this same group. Average on service, above average on perishables, price, and top on cleanliness.

There's a big group in the 70s, with Shaw's A&P, Jewel, Weis, Giant toward the bottom.

Walmart is at the bottom, with poor on service, average on perishables and price, and in the low band for cleanliness.

=====

58% of respondents have used self-checkout, 1/4 of these believed it took too long. I'd agree with this, too. I prefer the scanner tool which allows checkout in the aisle, and just paying on the way out.

and yet Walmart's share of the grocery business climb inexorably upward. Evidence the people like cheap things.
Why not mayo?

#3 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,999 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:54 PM

(snip)
and yet Walmart's share of the grocery business climb inexorably upward. Evidence the people like cheap things.

Yes. Also that visible cleanliness is something they're willing to trade off for price, at least in some cases.

I'll shop in stores where I only purchase canned or packaged goods, but wouldn't consider buying their fish, cheese, milk, etc.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman