23 replies to this topic

#1 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,599 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:30 PM

any recommendations for brands of premium basmati rice (preferably available in nyc)? looking for a nice long grain with actual rice flavor. brands available in jackson heights or south ozone park is easiest for me but curry hill is okay.

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#2 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,411 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:48 PM

any recommendations for brands of premium basmati rice (preferably available in nyc)? looking for a nice long grain with actual rice flavor. brands available in jackson heights or south ozone park is easiest for me but curry hill is okay.

hah. I wish I had video of us choosing at Patel Brothers. Julie Sahni gives a recc on her website fwiw. We have Koh-i-noor at the house, and its great but who knows if that's because I follow her recipe for soaking, boiling and steaming the rice or its actually "better" rice.
Why not mayo?

#3 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,599 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:23 AM

hah. I wish I had video of us choosing at Patel Brothers. Julie Sahni gives a recc on her website fwiw. We have Koh-i-noor at the house, and its great but who knows if that's because I follow her recipe for soaking, boiling and steaming the rice or its actually "better" rice.

i like koh-i-noor but they have several levels of quality on offer. i've used lal qilla in the past, but i don't want to buy 20lbs.

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

#4 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,415 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:52 AM

We've bought Tilda in the past and have found it to be quite fragrant.
Future Legacy Participant.

#5 FoodDabbler

FoodDabbler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:06 AM

We have Koh-i-noor at the house, and its great but who knows if that's because I follow her recipe for soaking, boiling and steaming the rice or its actually "better" rice.

Try the same method with Uncle Ben's and you'll know what's better method and what's
better rice.

#6 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,599 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:39 AM

We've bought Tilda in the past and have found it to be quite fragrant.

thanks! tilda's the brand i always forget about. i think they actually mark it gluten free, it doesn't need rinsing either does it?

~Jack Handey

#7 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,164 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:50 AM

the whole foods house brand is pretty poor.

#8 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,543 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:50 AM

zebra brand! often two for one!

my annoying opinions: untimely whisky reviews and occasional cultural commentary

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#9 foodie52

foodie52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,340 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:57 PM

I've used Tilda and love it.
I've never rinsed rice...
[size="4"]Visit our website for updates...Friends of Colombian Orphans

Donations are always gratefully accepted.

#10 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:06 PM

I rinsed rice once. Didn't see the point to it.

This is excepting a box of Bhutan red rice that I got, that you had to rinse, because it seemed to come with actual Bhutan dirt.
It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

Please come visit my rock concert blog: Tantalized.

#11 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,415 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:55 PM

Carolina is now marketing basmati, and jasmine, too.

Because it's allowed doesn't mean it isn't creepy. -- Sneakeater, April 10, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#12 foodie52

foodie52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,340 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:50 AM

So is the Carolina American grown ?
[size="4"]Visit our website for updates...Friends of Colombian Orphans

Donations are always gratefully accepted.

#13 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,415 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:06 AM

I don't believe so. I no longer have the basmati rice (which comes in smallish packages), but what I have from the jasmine says

"Enriched Thai Fragrant Long Grain Rice
Thai Hom Mah Rice"

They're okay, but kind of watered down in flavor compared to others available. Since I just want them to be the backup singers, I don't find that a drawback.

Because it's allowed doesn't mean it isn't creepy. -- Sneakeater, April 10, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#14 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,411 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:03 AM

I did not like the Carolina basmati when I tried it.

I'm under the impression that washing and soaking basmati is traditional.
Why not mayo?

#15 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,599 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:55 AM

I did not like the Carolina basmati when I tried it.

I'm under the impression that washing and soaking basmati is traditional.

i tried the carolina jasmine a while back, was not impressed.
not all basmati requires washing, really depends on the processing. these days i lean toward the no rinse brands. i just want to find the best no rinse brand for me

~Jack Handey