23 replies to this topic

#16 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,338 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:16 PM

I did not like the Carolina basmati when I tried it.

I'm under the impression that washing and soaking basmati is traditional.

i tried the carolina jasmine a while back, was not impressed.
not all basmati requires washing, really depends on the processing. these days i lean toward the no rinse brands. i just want to find the best no rinse brand for me

you still soak?
Why not mayo?

#17 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,565 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:25 PM

not all basmati requires washing, really depends on the processing. these days i lean toward the no rinse brands. i just want to find the best no rinse brand for me

you still soak?

not usually, madge. unless it's the type that requires rinsing. i don't have the patience for soaking

do you?

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#18 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,338 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:47 PM

you still soak?

not usually, madge. unless it's the type that requires rinsing. i don't have the patience for soaking

do you?

always. 30 minutes, double the volume of the rice in water and I boil the rice in the soaking liquid. I just follow Julie Sahni's recipe. She's quite insistent on soaking.
Why not mayo?

#19 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,540 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:18 PM

i rinse, soak for 15 minutes or so, drain, bring 1.5 times as much water as rice to a boil, add the rice. cover, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook for 15 minutes. take off the heat and let sit for a while before fluffing.

my annoying opinions: untimely whisky reviews and occasional cultural commentary

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#20 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,062 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:49 PM

I do as mongo does although I've never really been scientific about soaking duration.
I never said that

#21 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,540 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:50 PM

yes. in reality i soak for as long as it takes me to wash the pot and bring the water to a boil.

my annoying opinions: untimely whisky reviews and occasional cultural commentary

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#22 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:51 PM

Soaking prevents glopping...

#23 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,338 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:16 PM

such efficiency experts around here. A minute here a minute there. All adds up.
Why not mayo?

#24 beccaboo

beccaboo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:43 PM

I always thought the soaking was to help the grains grow longer, like ladies' fingers. I soak but don't rinse, as I drain off the soaking water and think that constitutes enough of a rinse for the nice, clean rice I buy.