8 replies to this topic

#1 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,908 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:38 PM

I haven't read the books, so I don't know how much of the movie is simply being true to original. It was enjoyable, but with some very poor acting, which I put down to the fault of the director/producer.

The backstory is absurd. The world has been divided into 12 Districts, ranging from extremely affluent to dirt poor. Hollywood on one end, the Ozarks/Appalachians on the other. 75 years ago, the poorer districts revolted* and were defeated. At that point, the government instituted the Hunger Games. 2 teens from each district compete in a televised fight to the death set in a massive Truman-Show-Esque stage. Somehow, this is meant to bring everyone together.

Katniss, a dirt poor girl from a mining town volunteers to go when her younger sister is chosen as the female representative from her District 12. (No, sadly, the District 9 people are not prawns.) She takes a train to the capital city for quick training before heading into the game.

The people in the capital city are absurd caricatures of mindless, arrogant overly-pampered rich people. They dress in silly colorful costumes with absurd makeup and hair styles that looks like something from a surreal fashion show or Tim Burton's Willy Wonka. They're all smiles and giddy in a way that's meant to be campy and, perhaps even an indictment of the 1%. It's just dumb. Stanley Tucci & Elizabeth Banks do what I assume is what they were told to do, but their characters are too absurd to be taken seriously in any way.

The fight itself is done pretty well, although the brutal deaths of young teenagers is unpleasant. The writing isn't particularly good, the plot points fairly obvious, the love story sappy and contrived, the deep social pronouncements that people are on about are simplistic. It's an enjoyable movie, nonetheless.

*That's the wrong word, isn't it?

And she was.

#2 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,861 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:02 PM

Some say Hunger Games was lifted from a Japanese film, Battle Royale. But the writer of of the former denies it vehemently.

I got that gin in my system
Somebody's gon' be my victim.

Big Freedia

#3 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,199 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:57 PM

Fourth week as box office leader.

The Three Stooges wasn't an especially strong challenger for the leader board.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#4 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,225 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:18 PM

I saw it twice. :blush:

The first time I barely had any idea of what the book was or the plot. A friend of mine was randomly invited to a pre-screening of it at an IMAX theater and she invited me along. I really liked it though I think I"m too old for IMAX theaters. Especially with all the camera whipping around, I felt dizzy and my friend actually had to move because she felt nauseous.

Second time I was on a beach vacation and my friends wanted to see it. I decided to also try reading the book (literally a beach read) and so the second time I understood more and thought they did a good job staying close to the book.

Acting-wise, I thought that Jennifer Lawrence was amazing. I disagree with Stone in that I thought that Tucci and Banks also did well, the characters are absurd so that's what they portrayed. I also thought Woody Harrelson was good in his role. Everyone's bashing poor Lenny Kravitz saying what a dull performance he gave to such a flamboyant character. Maybe I missed something but the character seemed pretty tame in the book too.

What baffles me about this whole Hunger Games phenomenon is that this is a book geared for pre-teens and it is loaded with killing pre-teens. Parents are letting their kids read this?
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#5 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,908 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:13 PM

I disagree with Stone in that I thought that Tucci and Banks also did well, the characters are absurd so that's what they portrayed.

Actually, we agree.

I hadn't realized that Jennifer Lawrence was the girl from Winter's Bone. She's very mopey.

And she was.

#6 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:52 PM

What baffles me about this whole Hunger Games phenomenon is that this is a book geared for pre-teens and it is loaded with killing pre-teens. Parents are letting their kids read this?

I haven't seen the movie but parents letting their kids read the book doesn't baffle me at all. Pretty clearly written that the game is brutal and the government is bad. By the time a kid is 11 or 12 they've read a lot of books dealing with good and evil where there is violence (Harry Potter, Star Wars, etc.)
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#7 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,182 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:55 PM

I haven't seen the movie but parents letting their kids read the book doesn't baffle me at all. Pretty clearly written that the game is brutal and the government is bad. By the time a kid is 11 or 12 they've read a lot of books dealing with good and evil where there is violence (Harry Potter, Star Wars, etc.)

Agreed. Children are bloodthirsty creatures and there is a long history of brutality and violence in childrens literature. Treasure Island and some very gory Grimm Brothers stories come to mind.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#8 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:04 PM

Hansel and Gretel! Gee, I could hardly take it at the Met recently. But all the kids were on the edge of their seats with faces of glee.
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#9 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:12 PM

Agreed. Children are bloodthirsty creatures and there is along history of brutality and violence in childrens literature. Treasure Island and some very gory Grimm Brothers stories come to mind.

Yep.

Lord of the Flies. Outsiders.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.