3 replies to this topic

#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,029 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:21 AM

I saw a mention of LaQuercia as a primary supplier of pork products to Mario Batali, Emeril Lagasse, etc. The company describes itself as a low carbon footprint, environmentally friendly operation. The pigs are humanely treated, raised without unnecessary antibiotics, with deep bedding, and the opportunity to socialize. Their claim to fame is developing unique ways to bring out the unique facets of different varieties of pork.

La Quercia was the first company to offer salumi (dry cured meats) made with organic pork and purebred Berkshire pork. It offered the first organic prosciutto (La Quercia Prosciutto Green Label) and breed specific prosciutto (La Quercia Rossa Berkshire Prosciutto) available in the USA. Our Tamworth Country Cured Bacon is the only ready to eat, uncooked bacon in the USA, made with no nitrates or nitrite or vegetable substitutes.

La Quercia uses traditional dry curing—drying the meat to make it safe to age, so it doesn’t need nitrates, nitrites, vegetable substitutes, or any preservatives. Ingredients are either pork and sea salt or pork, sea salt and spices—nothing else.

It looks like they have good distribution. Here in NJ, they're represented in some Whole Foods stores, the Oldwick General Store, etc as well as Stone House in Warren, Berta's Chateau. In NYC, their meat is featured at Otto, A Voce, etc

Our Farmers

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#2 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:49 AM

I have some of their Speck Americano in the refrigerator.

I like their products a lot and they are readily available here since LaQuercia is only a few hours south of here.

I haven't seen the Lomo Americano yet but I'd like to try it.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#3 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:28 AM

i do like their speck but the prosciutto (also very good) is hard to find these days - except for the piccante stuff, which i'm not a fan of.
“Eat me,’’ it says. “Eat me and die.’’ -- Jonathan Gold

Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not OK, then it's not the end.

#4 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,108 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:38 PM

Fairway has a full line of their stuff. Their cappicola is excellent.

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce