1 reply to this topic

#1 IanT

IanT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

Much as in New York, "no reservations" has been THE food trend in London over the past two years (and I don't mean Anthony Bourdain...) Londoners have learned to queue for their food. And nowhere are the lines longer than Meat Liquor, a burger joint just off Oxford Street born out of Meat Wagon, a twitter-fuelled burger van sensation.

It opened last November, we've been a couple of times and the queues are getting longer. We arrived at 6.50pm last night, got inside to the bar at 8pm and sat down at 8.20pm... And the line had got a lot longer by 8pm, a two hour+ wait.

They get a lot right though. The cocktails are generally very good, the buffalo wings are excellent, as are the fries, onion rings etc. And its really very good value (5 for 20+ wings). Music is loud and the decor is grungy which might not be for everyone. Most importantly, however, the burger seems to be on the slide. At these prices (7.50 for a double) you can't expect them to be taking on Hawksmoor for "best burger in London" honours but the quality does seem to have dropped. The burger last night didn't compare with Byron (decent "corporate" burger chain) much less the meatily marvellous Hawksmoor.

In one week last month my wife and I queued at Le Chateaubriand (40 minutes outside, an hour by the bar), Meat Liquor (an hour) and Pitt Cue (10 minutes outside, 70 minutes at the bar). Yes, we're suckers. In order of quality:
- Le Chateaubriand was my meal of the year so far but the queue still pissed me off. Next time I'll book the early sitting;
- Pitt Cue is so good, and the cocktail "programme" so serious, I'll be happy to wait again at the bar (but not outside);
- Meat Liquor: We'll probably return as my wife is in love with the wings but it'll be at 6pm or 10pm and definitely not for a "quick" bite before a gig. We ended up missing the first 10 minutes of Noah and the Whale, not such a huge loss in retrospect...

#2 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,018 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:14 PM

At these prices (7.50 for a double) you can't expect them to be taking on Hawksmoor for "best burger in London" honours

Ah London don't every change - Please go into the NYC burger thread and say that a $12 burger with no sides shouldn't be able to compete for the best burger in town.
Why not mayo?