#1 OTB

OTB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:11 AM

Posted Image

Tonight we made Daisy Martinez's recipe. Called for roasted red bell peppers as opposed to raw green bell peppers and has a good deal of cilantro in it. Was excellent.

Anyone have any other good variations?
Jason Perlow
Food Blogger, OffTheBroiler.com
Sr. Technology Editor, ZDNet / CBS Interactive
My Flickr Stream: Click Here for Food Photos

#2 balex

balex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:31 PM

I sometimes put in what is basically ceviche in the middle -- some raw scallops etc marinaded in lime juice -- also cubes of avocado work quite well.

#3 balex

balex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:32 PM

double post

#4 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,043 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:06 PM

Similar to wearing a seersucker suit before the Kentucky Derby is run, isn't it a terrible faux pas to serve gazpacho before Memorial Day? Perhaps it is the crazy spring weather.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#5 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,108 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:47 PM

It's freezing here, post the nor'easter we were treated to yesterday.

When it gets warmer I will make http://farm9.staticf...3614"]salmorejo, the Cordoban gazpacho which uses stale bread and garlic and is creamy-textured. Traditionally garnished with hard boiled egg and diced jamon serrano. I am also partial to the Sevillano version which adds roasted red peppers to the mix.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#6 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,947 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:08 PM

It's freezing here, post the nor'easter we were treated to yesterday.

When it gets warmer I will make http://farm9.staticf...3614"]salmorejo, the Cordoban gazpacho which uses stale bread and garlic and is creamy-textured. Traditionally garnished with hard boiled egg and diced jamon serrano. I am also partial to the Sevillano version which adds roasted red peppers to the mix.

Mmm-mmm

#7 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,539 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:29 PM

i use the recipe in rohan daft's "menu del dia". it also incorporates stale bread and garlic but fresh veg. i particularly like to make it with green zebra tomatoes.

my annoying opinions: untimely whisky reviews and occasional cultural commentary

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#8 OTB

OTB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:46 PM

Similar to wearing a seersucker suit before the Kentucky Derby is run, isn't it a terrible faux pas to serve gazpacho before Memorial Day? Perhaps it is the crazy spring weather.

Well, the day I posted this thread we had temps in the 80s in NJ and it was warm as hell the previous week. I can't keep up with this wacky weather
Jason Perlow
Food Blogger, OffTheBroiler.com
Sr. Technology Editor, ZDNet / CBS Interactive
My Flickr Stream: Click Here for Food Photos

#9 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:14 PM

I always use tomatoes,* cucumbers, and bell peppers, with a little onion and garlic plus sherry vinegar. And usually leave it mostly chunky, although I puree some to make it soupy. And if I use too much chile or hot sauce, I might stir in a little yogurt.

*To be honest, sometimes I add some V-8. :blush:

Has anyone ever tried the version with white/green grapes and almonds?

Jaymes has a wonderful version made with cantaloupe; the recipe might be here somewhere.

[But as Daisy said, it's friggin' freezing today, so I can't imagine making it now. Ask me tomorrow--who knows what the weather will be like!:lol:]

Because it's allowed doesn't mean it isn't creepy. -- Sneakeater, April 10, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#10 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:51 PM

i use the recipe in rohan daft's "menu del dia". it also incorporates stale bread and garlic but fresh veg. i particularly like to make it with green zebra tomatoes.

My go-to recipe as well.

#11 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:56 PM

Jaymes has a wonderful version made with cantaloupe; the recipe might be here somewhere.

Here. (Should we have a mod merge the threads?)

#12 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:23 AM

Should we have a mod merge the threads?

G, Definitely not as then we won't be able to follow this thread.
. . . . and victuals and the companionship accruing thereto" . . . .

#13 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,563 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:38 AM

it certainly would be confounding to merge a thread about gazpacho with a thread about gazpacho. how will we ever find anything?

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#14 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,414 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:39 AM

I always use tomatoes,* cucumbers, and bell peppers, with a little onion and garlic plus sherry vinegar. And usually leave it mostly chunky, although I puree some to make it soupy. And if I use too much chile or hot sauce, I might stir in a little yogurt.

*To be honest, sometimes I add some V-8. :blush:

Has anyone ever tried the version with white/green grapes and almonds?

[But as Daisy said, it's friggin' freezing today, so I can't imagine making it now. Ask me tomorrow--who knows what the weather will be like!:lol:]

I've made this version. I have a recipe somewhere that we liked, but I need to dig it out.
Future Legacy Participant.

#15 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,108 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:45 AM

Here. (Should we have a mod merge the threads?)

YES.

And in reply to Suzanne, I have made the white gazpacho with grapes. It is a wonderful thing to eat on a hot,steamy night. I use the method in The Moro Cookbook.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.