It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#17 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,063 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:00 AM

Phil, you too should read Jennifer Reese's book. She has goats, too. :rolleyes: She love them. The only animal she tried that didn't work out was turkeys.

the people who flock to dine at the restaurant on account of its reputation/stars are getting their money's worth because what they are after is a piece of the reputation/stars and nothing else. their money is not wasted. -- mongo jones, 11/5/2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#18 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:34 PM

Can we have more pictures?

Sure.

Posted Image

This one is a little blurry but she's a Buff Orpington : "Originally bred in England they are cold-hardy, large, and friendly with a quiet disposition. Reliable layers of large, brown eggs." She is the biggest and the bossiest of the three.

Posted Image

She is a Silver-Laced Wyandotte : "Superb dual-purpose, heritage breed. Good natured and very cold-hardy. Dependable layer. Showy."

Posted Image

She is a Black Australorp : "The 'Australian Orpington' is a prolific layer. Docile, quiet, and very hardy. Shiny, rich, black feathers."

I'm making sketches of coop details today. The floor will be 4ft by 3ft with nesting boxes mounted externally on one wall for easy egg access. The coop floor will be off the ground and the chickens will be able to run and scratch under the coop to get out of the rain. The height of the coop floor will be set by the height of the wheel barrow that will be used for clean-out. Trying to decide if I can incorporate the window that came out of the bathroom into the design.

Buddy the dog has taken to sitting very calmly and staring intently at the kennel where the chicks are in the basement. The younger dog doesn't seem to care so far.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#19 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:47 PM

which is the one that likes to play dead? Is that usual for that breed?

Very cute!

#20 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,235 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:07 AM

Chickensitting.

#21 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,063 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:14 AM

Just going by looks, I can understand wanting to have some around. Those are really handsome (pretty?) birds.

the people who flock to dine at the restaurant on account of its reputation/stars are getting their money's worth because what they are after is a piece of the reputation/stars and nothing else. their money is not wasted. -- mongo jones, 11/5/2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#22 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:21 PM

I swear I was at school with someone called Buff Orpington.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#23 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,444 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:13 PM

I swear I was at school with someone called Buff Orpington.

does your grace plan to keep livestock at the manor? i think sean might quite enjoy murdering chickens, for sport

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#24 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:44 PM

The chickens are now 20 days old and have been growing like weeds. All now have feathered wings and are quickly loosing the fluff.

I knocked together a much larger pen for them and we put it on the front porch so they can start getting more natural light and fresh air.

Posted Image

Buddy is very interested. Thankfully I made the sides just high enough to make it difficult to get in. I might have to make a top with hardware cloth.

#25 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:34 PM

The hens are now essentially teenagers. If I counted correctly they are seven weeks old.

They are eating slightly different food and sleeping outside in a coop that a friend gave us because their flock is too big. I still am working on a bigger run for them. They get free range of the back yard for about an hour per day. Lots of personality when they are unconfined. They try to fly around and sort of chase each other.

Posted Image

#26 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:42 AM

Our little 4 year old neighbor found our first egg today:

Posted Image

A beautiful brown egg with a bit of mottling. Don't know which hen laid it. We now need to start giving them oyster shell.

Curiously, the egg was in the run rather than in the coop or nesting boxes.

#27 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,990 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:00 PM

Does anyone know about raising guinea hens to control ticks?

#28 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,104 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:53 PM

Does anyone know about raising guinea hens to control ticks?

I've been told by the Violet Hill guys that raising guinea hens is a total PIA compared to chickens.
Why not mayo?

#29 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:32 PM

It's been an egg a day four the last four days.

Last night we had an omelette with the eggs. It's pretty amazing to compare the yolks with commercial eggs. The color is much brighter and more yellow/orange. The yolks are also much more of a tight sphere when suspended in the white. Hard to discern a flavor difference with the Swiss chard and garlic that were in the omelette.

#30 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:13 PM

As good a place as any to put this link: http://www.nytimes.c...sh-eggs.html?hp (well, actually, I strategically placed it elsewhere too)

Glad I'm not paying for eggs (or chickens) by the pound.

Cant wait to see what they find in Bklyn's home grown rooftop veggies.

This space available… contact owner.